Heating and transferring

Sammilouise

Arachnopeon
Hi all
So I've bought a fish tank to move my T into and I have a few questions.
It's winter here (Aus) and I don't see my Kuttabul much at all so I'm not sure how I want to go about moving him. I'm thinking that I could block his hole when he comes out to feed.. I don't want to cause him stress so any other ideas would be helpful.
Also, he has been in a small movable container which I've kept in our only room with heating but he's going to be kept into another room. I know many people don't like heat mats but if I have him in a 35 x 40 cm tank with 15cm of substrate and monitor the temperature - myself not with a thermostat - would we support using a mat on the side of the tank until the weather is warmer? It's 15 degrees here (60 fahrenheit).
Cheers

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's unlikely you WON'T cause him stress. So forget that option.

To get him out, either dig him out- OR some people slowly flood the hole w/water. He won't be happy, but he will definitely come out.

Never use a mat with a tarantula. Why would you be crazy enough to use a heating mat WITHOUT a thermostat to begin with- that's a recipe for killing an animal under the right conditions???????? :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

I would use a space heater to keep the T warm.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
It's unlikely you WON'T cause him stress. So forget that option.

To get him out, either dig him out- OR some people slowly flood the hole w/water. He won't be happy, but he will definitely come out.

Never use a mat with a tarantula. Why would you be crazy enough to use a heating mat WITHOUT a thermostat to begin with- that's a recipe for killing an animal under the right conditions???????? :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

I would use a space heater to keep the T warm.

Sooo much of this...also if your T has been deep hidden in its enclosure there could also be a possibility its in premolt. Use caution!