Heating a larger area for Tarantulas

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
This is mentioned as an alternative to heating the room they are in.

What are your thoughts on heating a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft wooden vivarium with a low wattage tube heater with a thermostat then placing the T's inside, creating a microclimate?

I only have 6 t's, 4 of which are slings so heating an entire room wouldn't be economical for me.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
First what makes you believe you even need to provide additional heating? What temperatures are you concerned about?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
2 adults, 4 slings, you could build a container to house all and heat the container somehow. What size are your sling containers? What size are the adult enclosures?

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
2 adults, 4 slings, you could build a container to house all and heat the container somehow. What size are your sling containers? What size are the adult enclosures?
I already have a spare vivarium going, a 4ft x 2ft one, my thinking was if I heated this and placed my T's inside putting the heat source to one side of the enclosure creating a thermal gradient like you would with reptiles, I felt something like this would be safer because the heater is only 28 Watts and has a max cut off point so it wouldn't overheat a tank this large.

The slings are in deli cups and the two others are in exo terra fuanariums.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
just make sure your thermal positioning is so that all of them have access to the heat and the ability to escape it

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It has dipped below 18 here already, with colder months to come.
So that’s like 65 degrees F, that’s not that cold. I set my thermostat at night to like 67 in the summers and that’s only a few degrees lower than what my house fluctuates to in the summer. No harm has ever come to any of mine with any fluctuations into the low 60’s even. May not lead to the fastest growth but for me, and my personal collection anything in the 60’s doesn’t warrant heating. If it was low 50’s yeah maybe.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I personally have used a space heater to heat the room up a couple degrees. More for the slings than the larger t's.