Heat

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Ok, was TRYING to write HEAT WAVE, but heat static is making the phone crazy.
I've been gone due to the death of a friend, but now I'M BAAACK.
The AC died two loong, hot days ago. I awoke to an amazing sight.
With the exception of my Aphonopelma seemani, all my Ts were in their water dishes. Even my Homoeomma sp Red MF:wacky:.
We're at the start of a heat wave. Ll is trying to get over here, but meanwhile I've got hot spids.
So I've been refilling and refilling water dishes. Today I watched in total amazement as my big Brachypelma albopilosum MF slugged down almost the entire water dish. (I'd refilled it around 2 am). I refilled her dish, now she's lurking next to it. I've got them in front of a fan going at a good clip. The airflow is good. I'm just twitchy.
The most touching thing I saw was that my Aphonopelma chalcodes MF hid her paper 'egg sac' in the hide.
Has anybody else encountered this?

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Just curious, how hot is it getting in the room they're in?

I saw a guy on here that said his T room got in excess of 94 degrees occasionally during the summer.

I'd personally get an AC if it got that hot as I can't even barely stand it being 78 in my room but I'll allow it cause it's cheaper and the Ts love it.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing, sweet friend. My condolences...

It is nice to see you back. :kiss:

I have no input to your heat crisis though. You should take this opportunity to snap some photos of your Ts in their water dishes though. Lol

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
It's getting close to 90°F for five hours. The landlord is good at fixing things; he may be overrun with swamp cooler disasters.
They're in the lr with me and my dogs. The dogs I can take outside and hose them down, even my 16 yo F black Lab.
I think I've got the eightleggeds covered by keeping them hydrated.
The A. chalcodes should have Sonoran desert genes lol.
I try to keep it at an even keel at 72°F.
Thanks for writing.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing, sweet friend. My condolences...

It is nice to see you back. :kiss:

I have no input to your heat crisis though. You should take this opportunity to snap some photos of your Ts in their water dishes though. Lol
I'll try, but I've got a potato phone camera! Nice to be back. Have missed that lot of you.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
It's getting close to 90°F for five hours. The landlord is good at fixing things; he may be overrun with swamp cooler disasters.
They're in the lr with me and my dogs. The dogs I can take outside and hose them down, even my 16 yo F black Lab.
I think I've got the eightleggeds covered by keeping them hydrated.
The A. chalcodes should have Sonoran desert genes lol.
I try to keep it at an even keel at 72°F.
Thanks for writing.
Hopefully he's quick at fixing things too lol... Losing AC in the summer is bad enough, but in NM, couldn't imagine that.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd get the fan off of them. Doesn't do anything helpful and is probably annoying for the spiders.
Just up humidity a bit. I'd overflow the dishes and keep a area moist.

Sorry about your friend, my condolences..:(

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I'd get the fan off of them. Doesn't do anything helpful and is probably annoying for the spiders.
Just up humidity a bit. I'd overflow the dishes and keep a area moist.

Sorry about your friend, my condolences..:(
Thanks, Venom. It's great to talk to all of you again.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
You may be able to make a make-shift AC with a cooler, ice and a fan? I've seen some youtube stuff here and there in case it gets too hot ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Sorry about your friend man.. That really sucks..

As for your Tarantulas 90 is survivable as long as you keep up the with the water dishes like you have been..

With the elevated temps they will be burning more energy because there metabolism is related to heat as I'm sure you already know.It won't hurt to feed them a little more frequently if your AC isn't fixed soon.

Glad your back hope you feel better soon.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Sorry about your friend man.. That really sucks..

As for your Tarantulas 90 is survivable as long as you keep up the with the water dishes like you have been..

With the elevated temps they will be burning more energy because there metabolism is related to heat as I'm sure you already know.It won't hurt to feed them a little more frequently if your AC isn't fixed soon.

Glad your back hope you feel better soon.
The AC just got FIXED! Now it's back to its frigid self!!!
YAAAAY!!!!