Heat wave

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
As a lot of you know I live in Las Vegas aka The mouth of hell. This last week was a pretty scary one for me. The first day of the heat wave was 113 and our air conditioner broke in the morning.

As it tends to happen here so did a lot of other people's. So that ment no one was coming to fix it soon. That put me in panic mode over my T room and my macaw. Luckily I'm a pretty handy person. So off to lowes and Walmart I went.

I made two DIY air conditioners from foam coolers and a fan. And thank god I did. It got to be 96 degrees in my house and 3 days of it. I got the T room temp down too 89 at least. And my macaw at least had some cool air going into her enclosure. They are not in the same room. The tarantulas freak my bird out.

Here's the worst part I have 1 P.met sitting on a sac through this fiasco. And three more gravid females that are pretty touchy about how and when they will be comfy dropping a sac. One being a gravid P.met. She's a bit less touchy than my other female but still the worry is there.

On day 3 at 8pm the air was finally back on. And no losses thankfully. So if anyone experiences air conditioning malfunction. Make an air conditioner!!! It will save the day!!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah record breaking highs this week in the Central Valley too. It hit 112, then 111, then 109, now it's right around 105. Still insanely hot, usually the highest temp during the summer is like 105. My collection has been fine lol and I made sure to keep my crested gecko nice and cool.

boina

Lady of the mites
Oh. My. God. I wouldn't survive where you are living. With 96F in my house and higher outside I'd be dead, never mind my Ts :depressed::dead:

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Oh. My. God. I wouldn't survive where you are living. With 96F in my house and higher outside I'd be dead, never mind my Ts :depressed::dead:
I feel the same way. It gets hot and humid during the summer here, too, and I basically just stay inside hugging the a/c. If it's over 70, I hate it.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Yaaa.Denver is not as bad as Vegas,but we hit 102 on Wednesday.Thankfully the ac keep up.
My M.mesomelas are in the basement,so it got to 70F.Got home from work,and all of them
had their butts planted in the water dishes.Not happy campers.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Boston area gets pretty hot at times, nothing like Vegas, but we also get awful humidity too. Great thinking on your part @Blue Jaye I'm glad everything worked out and everyone stayed safe.
We had a short heat wave too, only to the mid 90s, but the AC in the animal room couldn't keep up. Had to go buy a new one. Also moved a couple of the more heat sensitive animals downstairs where the AC was working.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
It's still hot. Looking like we're going to break another heat record for consecutive days over 100. But luckily I have AC again. But ugh I can't send out slings. Hopefully it will cool down after this next week.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I feel your pain. San Fernando Valley, where I am, is known for heat. With the average triple-digit monsters we get every summer, I'm completely married to my a/c. And I have lots of animals who would not appreciate an a/c malfunction!

keks

Arachnobaron
I hate heat, I get massive circulation problems :/.
I'm absolutely sure that I have minimum 2 air conditioners when I had to live in Las Vegas or the like :dead: .

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
And here I was worrying about my spiders when it got 29°C (85F) in my spiderroom....
110F equals 45°C....that's absolutely insane...why do people live there??:eek:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
OMG glad I don't live in the U.S. those temps are insane, 20 Celsius here and we're thinking of skiing holidays....

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
As a lot of you know I live in Las Vegas aka The mouth of hell. This last week was a pretty scary one for me. The first day of the heat wave was 113 and our air conditioner broke in the morning.

As it tends to happen here so did a lot of other people's. So that ment no one was coming to fix it soon. That put me in panic mode over my T room and my macaw. Luckily I'm a pretty handy person. So off to lowes and Walmart I went.

I made two DIY air conditioners from foam coolers and a fan. And thank god I did. It got to be 96 degrees in my house and 3 days of it. I got the T room temp down too 89 at least. And my macaw at least had some cool air going into her enclosure. They are not in the same room. The tarantulas freak my bird out.

Here's the worst part I have 1 P.met sitting on a sac through this fiasco. And three more gravid females that are pretty touchy about how and when they will be comfy dropping a sac. One being a gravid P.met. She's a bit less touchy than my other female but still the worry is there.

On day 3 at 8pm the air was finally back on. And no losses thankfully. So if anyone experiences air conditioning malfunction. Make an air conditioner!!! It will save the day!!

Sounds like you did well considering! I'm in CA experiencing this is well. I always have a plan for any power outage, for animals and people in the house! Mine was to take everyone to a hotel with power, but I like yours;) we have a lot of elderly neighbors nearby and I worry for them too. I dread apower outage on our block, ill be happy when it cools some

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
@spotropaicsav. Thanks :D I was in a panic for a minute there. But luckily that quick thinking paid off. I will now always keep stuff on hand to make little air cons etc. I have quite a few friends in Ca and yep you guys are hitting some pretty high temps too. Hopefully with fingers crossed the hot, hot will go away soon.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
After the air conditioner fiasco...... almost everything survived except two tiny diversipies slings and the freaking worst. I lost my P.met sac!!! Ugh it was going so well. They made it to second instar and there were a few bad eggs. I decided to pull it because I just had a weird feeling in my gut so I pulled the enclosure and saw that my female had molted. So I pulled the cork and sure enough there was the sac. I opened it and there was nothing left alive. The only good thing is I have another P.met about to drop, hopefully any way. Just a quick share. And yes it's still stupidly hot here.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Sorry for your loss Blue Jaye ..... the heat has been crazy here in Socal, but my little guys seem to be loving it, woke up to find 5 molts over the weekend ( p metallica, rufilata, bara, chr. cyano, and n. coloratovillosus). Can't wait for the feedings!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sorry to hear, @Blue Jaye :( P. metallica have given you nothing but troubles.

Note, don't do anything hasty with your spiders. I've got a plan.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Sorry for your loss. :(

That's ridiculous, as a kid I wasn't allowed to leave the house in temps over 90. Good ol' Canada.