Heat Pads Set Up...

Titandan

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

I was wondering how you guys set up your smaller tarantulas' enclosures with heating during the winter.

I got the largest heat pad... like a 18" by 8" or so.

So I got it on my desk and I placed a large tupperware box (rubbermaid) on top of the heat pad. then I placed the smaller acrylic cube containers with coco fiber and tarantulas in there.

My question is, how do I keep the temperature lower? I think it's not good to keep the heat pad right below the T containers. However, that's the most effective way of heating all of the containers evenly. If I place the heat on the side, the other side's T containers will not be sufficiently heated. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Anyhow, if any of you have any tricks of the trade, I'd deeply appreciate it! Thanks ahead of time! (I checked search function and it didn't pull up my desired info) ;)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Do not put the heat pad underneath. I built a climate control chamber for my slings. Always put the heating pad on the side. Temperature will be distributed fairly evenly. Within a 3 degree gradiant for me. Make sure you test it for 48 hours so your getting a constant temperature. I also added a small fan inside a tube pointed down to circulate the air and heat. I used a dimmer switch with the dial taped in place so it cant move. A thermostat is really the only sure fire way to be safe. Unless your raising T. blondi ect. 60 or better is just fine. Lastly: Do this at your own risk! You should only be kicking yourself if you cook your Ts or burn your house down. :D

Last edited:

Jacksonsjampot

Arachnopeon
i use no heat pads and have not since i started with Ts a couple of years back.
all my Ts are kept in there tubs in a viv, this time of year my temps are 18 to 23c and all my Ts are active and happy.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heat pads aren't necessary unless the temperatures are consistently below ~60F.

Titandan

Arachnopeon
Yeah... I live in SoCal... but our winters are still under 60 F

And our house is especially cold during the winters and hot during the summers. Weird I know. We have very little ventilation or something.

Anyhow, I'll try getting a bigger rubbermaid box to place all of my containers in. I will also try placing the box on some sort of stand so that my heat pad will not touch the enclosures.

Thanks guys!