Heat pad questions

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately and electrical fault can strike anywhere. Even a space heater could develop a fault and set on fire.

Short of not using electricity it's just something very unfortunate to happen.

Even if a stat failed with the mat being on the side there shouldn't be any thermal blocking and the mat should still function safely until you notice the fault later that day.
To each his own, i dont risk it anymore as theres easier/safer ways to achieve an optimal temp imo

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Don't put this in a closed in room. Especially with your Ts. These things should have been outlawed for people use years ago IMO.
Lol yea not knowing the setup, space, etc i figured it was worth the mention.
Should have added a disclaimer tho lol good catch pal

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've never (nor I want - read need - to use those) used one in 25 years of arachnids, I agree with the (lol) trash can option and everything but I'm also with basin79 on this; if "you" know what you are doing (a thing that btw is everything but granted) there's no issues at all in using those heat cable/pads/whatever just like the ones that TSS has for sale.

A lot of UK keepers use and used those for years, just like Italians I know, including a top notch Northern Italian breeder. Granted, they know the "how to", uh.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I see this sort of thing all the time and I wonder why people have such a hatred for heat mats. I understand that their intended use is a bad idea, but they do produce heat and in that respect, they are no different than a space heater or heat lamp or anything else. Granted, sticking them to a tank is a bad idea but, as already mentioned, if stuck to the inside of a cabinet, they can absolutely raise the inside temps to slightly above the ambient temp in the room with no more risk to the animals inside than any other heat source. The obvious advantage is that it takes up much less room than any other heat source.
I'm aware of the problems associated with using heat mats as intended. I get it. What I find amazing is that people can use spray foam to create rocks and hides, junk food containers as enclosures and light diffuser panels to create false bottoms to fashion an artificial lake or stream, how come people still have a problem coming up with ways to eliminate the problems associated with heat mats, especially when the solution could be as simple as stick it somewhere else? It baffles me. For the record, I do not now, nor have I ever owned or used a heat mat but I certainly don't see anything wrong with using one in a responsible manner.
One last thought, I can appreciate that they are not an ideal method of heating, but if they were really so deadly, wouldn't they stop making them at some point in favor of something else? I mean, eventually the stores would have enough complaints and returns to quit carrying them and in turn the manufacturers would make a move to something more marketable. I have always thought they were a bad idea for their intended use, but I think the bad reputation may be somewhat inflated due to personal thoughts.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I see this sort of thing all the time and I wonder why people have such a hatred for heat mats.
Yup. I think that's because a lot of people doesn't exactly, in all honesty, know how to really use those devices (how many with the heat pad under, for instance?) nor that certain Theraphosidae, such genus Grammostola and many others, doesn't really needs additional heat because they thrive without issues even at "supposed colder" <-- for other T's, I mean -- temperatures.

IMO? Nonsense will be use a space heater only for one/two T's, now that would be throwing bucks outside of the window, therefore in such a case/s, if temperatures are really too cold, those come in handy.

I've never used one, btw. Not even a space heater. Just my two cents :-s

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Unfortunately and electrical fault can strike anywhere. Even a space heater could develop a fault and set on fire.

Short of not using electricity it's just something very unfortunate to happen.

Even if a stat failed with the mat being on the side there shouldn't be any thermal blocking and the mat should still function safely until you notice the fault later that day.

This is why I advocate the use of radiator style space heaters instead of the open element style ones (basically a glorified hair dryer)

The radiator style ones are infinitely safer, more electrically efficient, heat more evenly, and seem to not dry the air out as much.

Take that with 2-3 32oz deli cups with water (or a large bowl) on either side of the heater and you now have a slightly, safely, artificially raised ambient humidity for basically no effort.