Heat pad questions

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
My friend at work has a rose hair that he's had for five years. He has to keep the temperature at 68 degrees, so he bought a heat mat. he put the mat under the tank, which I told him is a bad idea. Should he tape it to the side of the tank? Told him I would post here and give him an answer tomorrow.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Throw the heat pad in the trash.......

End of discussion :)

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Yeah, it's not mine lol. I have a bedroom in my house dedicated to my spiders that I keep at 73 degrees. My friend can't have it any warmer than 68 and sometimes cooler. Seriously, should he put the pad on the side or will a rose hair be okay with temperatures that cold. Those are his options.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
OUCH!! This is going to be good.The only question you could ask that will receive more negative responses would be
"how often should I handle my T".:rolleyes:.And no ,I wont post my ceramic heat lamp photo.
Be easy on the OP everybody:angelic:.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Yeah, it's not mine lol. I have a bedroom in my house dedicated to my spiders that I keep at 73 degrees. My friend can't have it any warmer than 68 and sometimes cooler. Seriously, should he put the pad on the side or will a rose hair be okay with temperatures that cold. Those are his options.
I will respectful again advise the circular file for the heat pad. Its not his only option and 68 should be fine anyway.
He really does need to toss that heat pad beofre its too late. The wrong option is almost never the only option.
1) space heater
2) electric heater
3) kerosene heater
4) heck even a heat lamp kept some distance away is better then a heat pad

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Once again, not my spider or heat pad. I advised against it and told him I would show the responses tomorrow at work.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Another option is to put the enclosure inside a cabinet or larger aquarium that uses the heat pad as INDIRECT heat source with a thermostatic controller to keep the whole T enclosure warm.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Another option is to put the enclosure inside a cabinet or larger aquarium that uses the heat pad as INDIRECT heat source with a thermostatic controller to keep the whole T enclosure warm.
i was just about to suggest this myself (the aquarium part). Not sure if it works because i never tried it myself.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Once again, not my spider or heat pad. I advised against it and told him I would show the responses tomorrow at work.
I dont think anyone is mistaking it for your heat pad or your T.
Unless someone misreads, i read it clearly it was your friends T an heat pad.

Whos T it is doesnt change the advice tho lol ;)

Heat pads = bad news
Just tell him pitch it an use a space heater or a small electric heater (those things can be found everywhere for like $10-$30)
Way safer for the T :)

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
68 degrees is a perfectly safe temperature for a rose hair. Take the heat mat from him and slap him with it

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Definitely remove heatpad from under the tank, that is a bad place to put it.
It depends a little on how hot the pad gets. I use a heatcable that is 36°C at the inside core, but radiates warmth at 25°C on the outside lining. Two cm from the cable, the temp is ~21°C, which is the minimum distance I keep between the enclosures and cable.
If he has a pad that gets very hot, he should not use it on the tank, but tape it on the wall/shelf a few inches from the tank.

Edit: just looked at your location. I assume he lives in the Us as well since he is your co-worker. So he can ditch the pad and use a space heater more easily.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
For how much gaming I do I feel that would burn the hell out of my hand over time. The one I had for my roaches got quite warm
:D The only reason I thought of that is that I have been working some at a customer site where they have no heat. I have been able to keep warm everywhere except my hands. Unfortunately I found that these units are only available as single voltage and I would need a 240 VAC unit for the customer's outlets. We only have 120 VAC units as a standard here in the USA.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Used heat mats for 20 years. No problems. Side/back of the enclosure on a stat. Absolutely no worries. NEVER underneath though.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Used heat mats for 20 years. No problems. Side/back of the enclosure on a stat. Absolutely no worries. NEVER underneath though.
I have used them on sides/back in the past too but that was before i onew of the issues that can happen. Grats for NOT having issues!!!!!
I didnt either but figured better to not risk it longer then i already had haha

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have used them on sides/back in the past too but that was before i onew of the issues that can happen. Grats for NOT having issues!!!!!
I didnt either but figured better to not risk it longer then i already had haha
What issues?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
What issues?
Dehydration mainly

Any electrical issue (i.e. A short or the like) can cause it to get far too hot and actually cook the T.

I had one do just that once but i was lucky enough to remove it before any damage had been done

basin79

ArachnoGod
Dehydration mainly

Any electrical issue (i.e. A short or the like) can cause it to get far too hot and actually cook the T.

I had one do just that once but i was lucky enough to remove it before any damage had been done
Unfortunately and electrical fault can strike anywhere. Even a space heater could develop a fault and set on fire.

Short of not using electricity it's just something very unfortunate to happen.

Even if a stat failed with the mat being on the side there shouldn't be any thermal blocking and the mat should still function safely until you notice the fault later that day.