Heat Pad Placement

Bulldog69

Arachnopeon
For a desert scorpion setup I have heard many opinions about where to place your heat pad, infrared lamp, or heat emitter.
1. Place a heat pad on one side underneath the tank. 2. Place a heat pad on one side on the side of the tank. 3. Place a heat pad on one side underneath the tank and use a heat emitter on top. 4. Place a heat pad on one side underneath and a infrared up top. 5. Just use a heat emitter on one side up top. 6. Just use a infrared on one side up top.
They all make some sense depending where you live and how you keep your house. I want to know what is the best for person who lives in Washington State that try’s to maintain a 70 degree in home environment but can have temperatures drop below due to the inconsistency of the outside temperature from October to April? Myself I was thinking of a heat pad underneath with a low watt infrared on top for the winter months and just a heat pad underneath for the summer. Any thoughts?

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
In my personal opinion UTH (under tank heating) is not preferred with scorpions.
In the natural/wild/real desert lower sand layers are colder, scorpions will go deeper into the sand to get away from the heat if it becomes too much at the height of summer.
It's usually best to create a natural environment as much as possible, so heat from the top is preferred, heat from the side as a 2nd option.
Heating with whatever heat source should always be regulated by a thermostat. Just a 'ON/OFF' thermostat cheapy will do, proprtional regulating thermostats are better if you can afford it.
Heating on during daytime, off during night.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Never under the tank. Only the side if you MUST use a pad but heat pads are for reptiles that need contact heat. They dont provide effective ambient heat. Get a bulb

Harmonicon

Arachnoknight
For a desert scorpion setup I have heard many opinions about where to place your heat pad, infrared lamp, or heat emitter.
1. Place a heat pad on one side underneath the tank. 2. Place a heat pad on one side on the side of the tank. 3. Place a heat pad on one side underneath the tank and use a heat emitter on top. 4. Place a heat pad on one side underneath and a infrared up top. 5. Just use a heat emitter on one side up top. 6. Just use a infrared on one side up top.
They all make some sense depending where you live and how you keep your house. I want to know what is the best for person who lives in Washington State that try’s to maintain a 70 degree in home environment but can have temperatures drop below due to the inconsistency of the outside temperature from October to April? Myself I was thinking of a heat pad underneath with a low watt infrared on top for the winter months and just a heat pad underneath for the summer. Any thoughts?
I recommend that you just use an infrared heat lamp on one side of the tank (make sure the temp isn't too hot though)