Heat Pad Placement? How High?

shotcaller88

Arachnopeon
I'm putting together an emperor enclosure. I just have a question on the placement of the heating mat. I'm using a 10 gallon tank and a 6x11 heating mat with a false bottom setup. There will be 2-3" of stones and ~4" of peat moss on top of that. This leaves about 5 or so inches vertical space to the top of the tank.
Originally, I thought I would place the heat mat on the side of the tank, towards the bottom. However, I see if I do this, it will be completely covered by substrate. So should I place the heat mat as high as possible? If I do this, only about 1" will be covered by the substrate.
I have attached a mspaint image to show what I'm saying. It's not pretty, but I think it will help you understand what I'm trying to say.
Thanks.

Attachments

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That looks perfect as you have it. The mat will warm one side as a dominate side for heat and there is plenty of room for the scorpion to burrow below the heat level even where the mat goes down below the substrate.

You just don't want to put a heat mat under the tank, as the natural instinct for burrowers is to burrow deeper to escape the heat, and if the heat is coming from below then it can't escape it by instinct.

Cheers Thaedion

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks good... just don't use too large of stones.. you wan't it to resemble a mini aqufier. :)

shotcaller88

Arachnopeon
Thanks. The stones are about 3/4"-1". They are the same exact ones Thaedion used in his youtube video.
Thaedion, by the way, I found the undergravel filter tubing at PetSmart for $3. I had to go to 2 Petsmarts, but it was worth it as the second had the tubing and stones.
I have pretty much everything together. Tomorrow I will be getting the "undertank" heater in the mail, so I can get it all together over the weekend.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. The stones are about 3/4"-1". They are the same exact ones Thaedion used in his youtube video.
Thaedion, by the way, I found the undergravel filter tubing at PetSmart for $3. I had to go to 2 Petsmarts, but it was worth it as the second had the tubing and stones.
I have pretty much everything together. Tomorrow I will be getting the "undertank" heater in the mail, so I can get it all together over the weekend.
Sounds good, I'm sure your scorps will really appriciate your efforts.