Heat packs for shipping?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
My temps are in the 50s the person receiving them temps are in the 60s to 75ish, but I know they will go to Memphis shipping hub for overnight transit which temps will be low 40s maybe down to 41.

Would you use a heat pack or not? Can’t really find a good answer from searching but most say anything under 40 use one.

Just don’t want to risk cooking them, the 72 hour uni heat gets pretty hot.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You could use them and poke a few extra holes in the styrofoam and box so that it is warmed but some heat can still escape. That’s what I would do so it’s not like a sealed insulated hot box. Idk I don’t have experience with cold shipping though

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Use a Phase 22 panel.
Much better than hot or cold packs. They are designed to change from solid to liquid or liquid to solid in order to maintain a constant 70-72 degrees.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used the sm
Use a Phase 22 panel.
Much better than hot or cold packs. They are designed to change from solid to liquid or liquid to solid in order to maintain a constant 70-72 degrees.
This is impressive info, thanks a lot! I see a price at a big frog vendor..How come I don't hear about these more often??

@cold blood check these out.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I used the sm

This is impressive info, thanks a lot! I see a price at a big frog vendor..How come I don't hear about these more often??

They are pretty much the standard for shopping frogs. I believe these were adapted from medical shipping. Keeping organs and meds at a specific temp.
They come in a rigid hard panel and a soft pillow like panel.
22 Celsius is 71.6 Fahrenheit, pretty much the perfect temp for shipping frogs and spiders.
The idea is if the place you're shipping to is over 72 degrees, place the phase change panel in the fridge till it's solid. It will absorb heat while shipping till it changes state back to a liquid in the panel. If it's below 72 you place the panel in some warm water. It will absorb cold till it changes state back to a solid.
The best place to get these is directly from the manufacturer. Google Cryopak. Depending on the size they run about $4-5 each.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are pretty much the standard for shopping frogs. I believe these were adapted from medical shipping. Keeping organs and meds at a specific temp.
They come in a rigid hard panel and a soft pillow like panel.
22 Celsius is 71.6 Fahrenheit, pretty much the perfect temp for shipping frogs and spiders.
The idea is if the place you're shipping to is over 72 degrees, place the phase change panel in the fridge till it's solid. It will absorb heat while shipping till it changes state back to a liquid in the panel. If it's below 72 you place the panel in some warm water. It will absorb cold till it changes state back to a solid.
The best place to get these is directly from the manufacturer. Google Cryopak. Depending on the size they run about $4-5 each.
By fridge, do you mean at 4C or 0C? Had a feeling they weren't developed by froggers, but you never know. This is great, thanks.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
By fridge, do you mean at 4C or 0C? Had a feeling they weren't developed by froggers, but you never know. This is great, thanks.
You could put them in the fridge or the freezer. Freezer will just do it faster. When the temp of the liquid in the panel drops below 22C (71.6F) it becomes a solid. I just put mine in the fridge for a few hours on the morning of my outbound shipment. By the afternoon when I'm packing up orders it's changed state to a solid and I'm ready to go.
The same is true when you change them from solid to liquid. 15 mins in some warm water and they are liquid and ready to use.

I think the only reason more T vendors don't use these is price and weight. You're looking at adding $5-10 additional cost in shipping materials and a heavier shipping box.
I think we would have a lot less DOA's if we could ship T's across country at 72 F.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I used the sm

There is a test run someone did with these and they were not effective.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Hogwash. Froggers have been using these for about 8 years now very effectively, You still have to pack an insulated box correctly and use the phase change panels correctly, but they do work. Especially effective when shipping takes two days or longer. The life span of a hot or cold pack is about 18 hrs, Phase Change panels keep working and are reusable. If you're trading T's among friends you can send your buddy spiders w/ the phase change panels and he can send spiders and the phase change panels back to you,

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Let's see the results, or link us up.

Generally speaking, I trust froggers over T owners when it comes to shipping, except for some very experienced T keepers/businesses.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

Generally speaking, I trust froggers over T owners when it comes to shipping, except for some very experienced T keepers/businesses.
I will try to find it, it was either on dendroboard or pangea give me a few. I have used them in the past with success though.

I can’t find it or maybe I was wrong, Most of the stuff I am seeing is all good from frog boards. Like I said i have had no issues with them and I have received shipments with them in the past. No sure why I was thinking it was those that was test shipped with a temp logger.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I can’t find it or maybe I was wrong, Most of the stuff I am seeing is all good from frog boards. Like I said i have had no issues with them and I have received shipments with them in the past. No sure why I was thinking it was those that was test shipped with a temp logger.
I vaguely remember that thread on Dendroboard when the Phase 22 panels came out years ago.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I vaguely remember that thread on Dendroboard when the Phase 22 panels came out years ago.
Maybe that was it, I am glad I dug back into it because I will get a few next time I ship.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Update: I decided not to use a heat pack. I ran a test run with the Uniheat 72 hour heat pack and the box got to temps of 108f. Way to hot. The package made it fine not heat pack with a low of 41f.

Which got me thinking, chances of a box sitting outside for over 1 hour is slim. When FedEx makes transfers from one plane to the next they are in individual pods surrounded by other boxes. Which also work insulating each other, unless your box is on top. But It would still have to saturate the whole box and I don’t thing 1 hour will do that.

Now this has got me interested. After the holidays I and gonna try to hook up some temperature logger and ship it in an insulated box without heat packs. Should be able to gather data by seeing when the temp hits the lowest and where it is actually at in transit from the tracking info.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
You could put them in the fridge or the freezer. Freezer will just do it faster. When the temp of the liquid in the panel drops below 22C (71.6F) it becomes a solid. I just put mine in the fridge for a few hours on the morning of my outbound shipment. By the afternoon when I'm packing up orders it's changed state to a solid and I'm ready to go.
The same is true when you change them from solid to liquid. 15 mins in some warm water and they are liquid and ready to use.

I think the only reason more T vendors don't use these is price and weight. You're looking at adding $5-10 additional cost in shipping materials and a heavier shipping box.
I think we would have a lot less DOA's if we could ship T's across country at 72 F.
I just ordered 10 of these. I will do a few test runs with them.