Heat mat

Hatters94

Arachnopeon
Okay, so I don't have my spider yet, but I just got my faunarium in the post.
I'm new to tarantula keeping and would like some advice.
With the tank, there was a 'lucky reptile heat thermo mat' with an instruction booklet. The booklet said to place the mat on one of the sides or the back of the cage, OUTSIDE the faunarium. This is fine, but will this actually keep the faunarium warm? The mat is adhesive on one side and so would stick to the side of the tank, I just wanted to make sure that it would do its job before I attached it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, it is supposed to work that way. My opinion? They are pretty much worthless.

All those heatmats out there, at least the ones i have tried out are a waste of money.
First of all, The idea of a warm glass to heat them enclosure, in my opinion conditions the behavior of the T. So I wouldnt use it... but second, it only will raise a couple of degrees your temps.
Totally worthless.

The best way, besides to heat the entire room/space, is a ceramic heat bulb placed far enought from the lid of the terrarium so it provides a more natural heat and it does actually raise the temps.

but watch the humidity.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, so I don't have my spider yet, but I just got my faunarium in the post.
I'm new to tarantula keeping and would like some advice.
With the tank, there was a 'lucky reptile heat thermo mat' with an instruction booklet. The booklet said to place the mat on one of the sides or the back of the cage, OUTSIDE the faunarium. This is fine, but will this actually keep the faunarium warm? The mat is adhesive on one side and so would stick to the side of the tank, I just wanted to make sure that it would do its job before I attached it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I can't say for that particular brand, but the Zoomed heating pads, attached to a correct sized tank, will keep it VERY warm.. I had to use them when I was living in barracks with no heat, the average night would drop to 58ish degrees F. Durring the day, temps would raise to the mid-60's. My G. rosea's tank on one corner would be 90 F, and on the oposite end would be high 80's durring the day.. durring the night, they became much more acceptable.

Moarale of the story: if you use it, monitor it VERY closely, even a small change in temps could potentially fry your T. If you're thinking of using one, I'd use one size smaller for your cage.