Heat mat question

Avel

Arachnopeon
I use a 4 watt heat mat attached to the inside of a box I made out of extruded polystyrene/foam board insulation. I also have an LED strip running along the top that keeps the top of each T enclosure very warm. I use a piece of Lexan for the front and have it placed so that there is still a gap and air can circulate in from outside. No thermostat, the heat mat hits 120F, but I don't have anything actually touching it. With the LED's off and just the heat mat on the AIR temperature drops to 70F. I leave the LED's set to red light output and adjust the intensity to regulate the heat. Sometimes I spray the heat mat and interior of the insulated box with water and the humidity increases for about 6 hours. I have my T's in a room that isn't used much, so using a space heater would be expensive. This way I'm only using about 10 watts to keep them comfortable. I do add a drop, literally, of water to my smallest slings bowl almost everyday from the tip of a straw. But it is tiny, under half an inch and recently molted, so it was super tiny when I received it. I'm rambling, bye.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would be worried that the heat mat would melt the kritter keeper..

Although running heat tape/heat mats is generally an inefficient way of heating Ts as long as they are a few inches away from the T and the Ts actual enclosure doesn't get above 80 or so I don't see the problem with them.. For a large collection it's extremely inefficient but for a few slings It's more efficient than usinag a space heater.. IMO..
@M to the M what would you have me clarify?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It seems that reading/scrolling on my phone makes me click things I do not intend. No clarification needed thank you.
Happens alot and that's what I figured but I would rather ask then have a question go unanswered.

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
I use a 4 watt heat mat attached to the inside of a box I made out of extruded polystyrene/foam board insulation. I also have an LED strip running along the top that keeps the top of each T enclosure very warm. I use a piece of Lexan for the front and have it placed so that there is still a gap and air can circulate in from outside.
Can you post a picture of the box you made? I'm interested...

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I've been experimenting with a heat mat for my Asian forest scorpion. They seem to like it pretty warm, not an easy task in my home when it gets really cold.
So far I have been satisfied with the results. The mat is affuxed to the back wall of the tank a hair above the surface level of the substrate. it's true that the glass gets a little warm at that point, but I haven't seen the scorp come in much more than casual contact with the area. Soon I will be able to shut it down for the summer. But if I didn't use some sort of heating in the winter, it would be difficult to maintain the temps that the scorpion needs.

Of course we are discussing (or we were before the inevitable arguing commenced) tarantulas, not scorps. Scorps don't have the habit of climbing up glass like tarantulas sometimes will, so I reasoned that there is less danger to the scorpion. As i said, I've only seen the scorp make casual contact with the heated side, and so far I have not observed it pressed flat against the area, and never for any amount of time, so I'm not terribly worried about thermal burns. The safety issue is another discussion, as anything can fail, including space heaters. I'm not so sure I would attempt it with a tarantula, and I keep my spiders in a room that is a little easier to heat than where the scorpion is at.
None of this is that relevant to the subject at hand, I'm just sharing my experience with a heat mat in general.

Oh, and upthread somebody mentioned the high-cost of 'stats. There is truth in that, but I needed one to help adjust the temps in my leopard gecko cage and located one for 30 dollars after seeing it mentioned at several message-boards discussing heating options for geckos. This is only a solution for a few enclosures, it would still add up for large collections of anything as the 'stat I bought is a single unit device. Of you have very many enclosures, it would be more cost effective to go higher end.