Heat mat for Lasiorora parahybana?

Aden

Arachnopeon
I live in Northern Finland, where it can get really cold in the winter. Usually the temp in my house is around 20 degrees celcius. Would it be a good idea to get a heat mat for winter?

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
20°C should be fine. If you have light on your terrarium, just change any modern LED bulb to something slightly more old school. I use 15W Halogen bulbs to light my enclosures, which give you an extra degree or so in the terrarium without being way too bright.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I live in Northern Finland, where it can get really cold in the winter. Usually the temp in my house is around 20 degrees celcius. Would it be a good idea to get a heat mat for winter?
People that put them under the T end up with dead animals

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have only seen a heat mat used successfully once. Huge Active Bioenclosure with hydro balls and water, then multi level soil, plants and a T stirmi. It looked and felt like a jungle in there and the T seemed pretty healthy

I live in Southern California and my house goes below 10C in winter. Common Winter Indoor Temps @ night 12-14C

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Truer words were never spoken. I get so many laughs on this website it's unreal. The stuff people post or worry about sometimes is absolute gold.
I had a friend in Alaska who was always giving me grief that I lived in Sunny SoCal. I bet him 100 bucks my house was colder than his in winter. Since I run no heat it was an easy hundred bucks

cold blood

Staff member
I had a friend in Alaska who was always giving me grief that I lived in Sunny SoCal. I bet him 100 bucks my house was colder than his in winter. Since I run no heat it was an easy hundred bucks
Yeah, why y'all are so resistant to heat your homes is beyond me....if you have a furnace, use it, its why it was installed in your house...lol. I will never understand those in warmer climates resistance to heating their homes to comfortable levels when it gets cold outside.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Yeah, why y'all are so resistant to heat your homes is beyond me....if you have a furnace, use it, its why it was installed in your house...lol. I will never understand those in warmer climates resistance to heating their homes to comfortable levels when it gets cold outside.
I have no furnace. My house is pushing a century old. I have a wall heater and the last time I had it worked on, they forgot to relight the pilot, gassed my GBB to death, dang near killed my dog and could have blown up my house.

EggSack

Arachnopeon
I have only seen a heat mat used successfully once. Huge Active Bioenclosure with hydro balls and water, then multi level soil, plants and a T stirmi. It looked and felt like a jungle in there and the T seemed pretty healthy

I live in Southern California and my house goes below 10C in winter. Common Winter Indoor Temps @ night 12-14C
And your Ts are fine with these temps? Mine seems to dislike even if it gets a bit below 20 C (stays in the burrow all the time, eats less)

cold blood

Staff member
I have no furnace. My house is pushing a century old. I have a wall heater and the last time I had it worked on, they forgot to relight the pilot, gassed my GBB to death, dang near killed my dog and could have blown up my house.
Lol, your home would be condemned if it was in WI.

Old homes can actually be updated.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
And your Ts are fine with these temps? Mine seems to dislike even if it gets a bit below 20 C (stays in the burrow all the time, eats less)
I space heat the T room.

Lol, your home would be condemned if it was in WI.

Old homes can actually be updated.
No, the heater functions, I just choose not to risk another gassing. My house is in an historic district so updating comes with all kinds of extra caveats, rules. It is an early Mission revival so there is no crawl space above, and single story so no room for a furnace.
If I sold it I could afford 2-3 houses in Wisconsin.

sloth

Arachnoknight
I with what was said above, space heater of some sort. Thats what I use when my temps get a little too cold for comfort, as using a heat mat is a big no no for T's.

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No to heat mat on bottom.,

20c = 72f which is fine for adult tarantulas— my T’s have done well for many winters at about 68-72f

I do keep my slings in an incubator that’s kept at a constant 77-80 f — small heat mat on top of 10 gallon aquarium which has styrofoam sidings for extra insulation. I also use a thermostat and temp laser gun. Slings are quite happy and always hang out closer to where the warmth is coming from.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Put it under your T and your dog will die.

You've entered the twilight zone.
I’d assumed the AB readership was smart enough to understand the concept of context.

That animals meant Ts.

However by your clear misunderstanding not only will your dog die, but you will die too as you’re an animal.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I’d assumed the AB readership was smart enough to understand the concept of context.

That animals meant Ts.

However by your clear misunderstanding not only will your dog die, but you will die too as you’re an animal.
I knew exactly what you meant, doesn’t mean I have to respond that way 😂 I enjoy the laughs.

scurry

Arachnopeon
Don't put a heat mat under there. I works for desert reptile because the ground radiates heat in their natural environment (sand and rocks absorb heat from the sun and radiate it, like asphalt does). It's confusing and deadly to T's because in their natural environment, heat comes from above (the sun) and the ground is cold. When T's want to get out of the heat, they burrow, because they instinctually think that it is cooler underground. If you put a heat mat under it, it's actually going to get hotter the further down they go.

As others have said, a space heater would be better. If you're really concerned about the wasted energy, or you can't use a space heater, a side heater would be better. They're similar to an under tank heater, they just have adhesive on one side so you can stick it to the side of the tank. I have a couple on the sides of my dubia roach colony, because they can't climb the sides. Be aware though, when those heaters are on, they heat the glass up to about 90F. I'm not sure how hot a surface has to be to be too hot for T's, but it might be bad if your LP walked on that wall.