heat lamp?

nikesh

Arachnopeon
hey guys ive had my emps for about 2 months now..they are pretty active and dont mind being handles n seem happy...I just want to know if i should be using a heat lamp? i am currently using a heat mat, but i dont know if this is enough? the sub trate in the tank is slightly moist... do you think they will be fine or should i buy a head lamp?
i also have 2 baby emps which i got a few weeks ago, the smae with them but they are in a little food container type thing...no substrae just kitchen tissue.. is this fine? thjis is what the guy at the pet shop told me to do but he told me he was no expert with scorpions...
also...can i feed my emps earth worms...ive got plenty in my back garden n i wanna feed em to my scorps..

cheers

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can pick a thermometer up for a few bucks. You should get one and stick it slighty above substrate level to see the temperatures.

If the temperatures are around 85F then you have it just right, if not then introduce a new heat source.

I've just had to purchase a heat bulb as my viv was only getting 65F on a good day. That was also using a heatmat. Now I'm in the 80's.

Hope this helps.

nikesh

Arachnopeon
hi, is there any good sites that deliver to the UK where i can pick up a thermo meter and one to read the humidity levels...

also any good sites where ican pick up a cheap clamp lamp...

cheers

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
no substrae just kitchen tissue.. is this fine? thjis is what the guy at the pet shop told me to do but he told me he was no expert with scorpions...
Most pet shop owner dont have a clue about proper scorpion husbandry. Put those younguns on some moist substrate

also...can i feed my emps earth worms...ive got plenty in my back garden n i wanna feed em to my scorps..
They will probably burrow into the substrate where the scorps cant catch them. Stick with crickets, roaches and grasshoppers

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...also...can i feed my emps earth worms...ive got plenty in my back garden n i wanna feed em to my scorps..

cheers
I threw in some earthworms once to see what would happen, held them out to my emperors and everything, nothing not interested in the worms. So I just threw in a few to see if they would help out the small ecosystem (aerate the substrate eat dead stuff etc) They survived for several months, actually I forgot about them until I did a tank change, they were still burrowing still active.

Metallicaman999

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i use a heat mat on the side and gives a good 80 F all day and my emps are pretty active from evening to morning. i would recommend anything that you like better. i use a 50 watt IR bulb from time to time and the temps go up to about 95 F, but it kills the humidity so i mist like twice a day.

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi, is there any good sites that deliver to the UK where i can pick up a thermo meter and one to read the humidity levels...

also any good sites where ican pick up a cheap clamp lamp...

cheers
Yes, I'm in the UK.

I ordered mine from Rocket reptile. Stick it in google. I ordered the 75w red heat lamp.

nikesh

Arachnopeon
alright cheers guys ill get on it asa;...
p.s...im going on holiday to canada for 2 weeks...no one wants to lok after them:S...would i be able to feed them the day i go and leave them cos ive herad they can go 3 months without food or is this not a good idea?

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
alright cheers guys ill get on it asa;...
p.s...im going on holiday to canada for 2 weeks...no one wants to lok after them:S...would i be able to feed them the day i go and leave them cos ive herad they can go 3 months without food or is this not a good idea?
Yeah, leave a couple of crickets in there and he should be fine. I read they can go for up to 6 months without food so I'm sure 2 weeks won't do any harm.

nikesh

Arachnopeon
alright so its okay to leave the big ones i have bu what about the 2 babies? will they be fine or will they die? ive only had them for about 2 weeks so i aint too sure on what to do with them

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
alright so its okay to leave the big ones i have bu what about the 2 babies? will they be fine or will they die? ive only had them for about 2 weeks so i aint too sure on what to do with them
Check your private messages!

As for the young ones, I have no idea! Hope someone else can answer your question.