caliSpood98

Arachnopeon
I have 5 tarantulas
Mexican red knee
Caribena versicolor
Pink toe
Tiger rump
Cambridgei
My boyfriend likes to keep the house 68 degrees F I’ve done research on all of the T’s and all say optimal heating is around 70-80 for best health. We had an argument about the heat lamp that I have on a low setting and about 5 feet away from the enclosures keeping them at a 70-75 degrees F is this safe and okay? It’s not directly on them but I wanted them to be more comfortable than sitting at the lowest possible temp for them. He bought a space heater and wants to keep them in the bathroom that we just don’t have room to do that. I’ve read both heat lamps and heat mats are bad but is it okay if it’s not directly on them?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have 5 tarantulas
Mexican red knee
Caribena versicolor
Pink toe
Tiger rump
Cambridgei
My boyfriend likes to keep the house 68 degrees F I’ve done research on all of the T’s and all say optimal heating is around 70-80 for best health. We had an argument about the heat lamp that I have on a low setting and about 5 feet away from the enclosures keeping them at a 70-75 degrees F is this safe and okay? It’s not directly on them but I wanted them to be more comfortable than sitting at the lowest possible temp for them. He bought a space heater and wants to keep them in the bathroom that we just don’t have room to do that. I’ve read both heat lamps and heat mats are bad but is it okay if it’s not directly on them?

The temp range is fine, both of them. Recognize lower temps means lower metabolism.

As for lamp/range- I can't judge that from a computer. UTHs are bad when mounted on bottom they kill Ts.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I have 5 tarantulas
Mexican red knee
Caribena versicolor
Pink toe
Tiger rump
Cambridgei
There's no shame when sitting on the 🚽 and observing your tarantulas, just saying.

A radiator heater in a small enclosed room like the bathroom works great for winter. Unless you have a small enclosed room like a closest that would work too.

Even if all 5 of your T's are adults that's a small amount that is easier to accommodate. I just moved all 10 of mine in the bathroom today as temps dropped at night. I use an electric radiator heater.

I also got a new metal shelf I put in there. To my surprise I have a whole shelf that's empty. Hmmmmm I can buy more T's now.

My bathroom is small too and I got that shelf in there.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I have 5 tarantulas
Mexican red knee
Caribena versicolor
Pink toe
Tiger rump
Cambridgei
Simple solution -

Keep your setup as it is.

Replace boyfriend.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I have 5 tarantulas
Mexican red knee
Caribena versicolor
Pink toe
Tiger rump
Cambridgei
My basement t room occasionally drops below 70 to 68/69 degrees and I never have any issues . Although house stays 70.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I’ve read both heat lamps and heat mats are bad but is it okay if it’s not directly on them?
Keepers are the bad ones, 99,999999% of the time.

Mats and lamps are perfectly safe if they are used correctly, mostly if you provide them additional temp gradients in their enclosure.

If you heat the whole enclosure then it's when dramas start. As poikilothermic animals, they rely on temp gradients to regulate their bodies, so heating the whole setup you are depriving them the hability to regulate themselves, so or the conditions are spot on, or your T will be in trouble.

Check Marshal arachnids and Dave little beasties channels, they have good videos about it.

In THIS thread we talked about mats.

PS: I personally wouldn't put them in thr bathroom, unless you don't use it.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Been keeping mine in the bathroom for years during winter, they love it.
Well during winter probably it's the most humid place of any house, so it has it's logic, but personally wouldn't put them somewhere where chemicals could affect them.

In my case I have a dog an a cat that have flea and tic treatments quite regularly, so knowing that some chemicals on those shampoos are lethal to arachnids, for me it's a big no. If the shower gels that you use are safe to them (particles in the air) I don't see too much problem placing them there, unless you keep that room fully saturated and poorly ventilated of course.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My boyfriend likes to keep the house 68 degrees
68º F is absolutely fine and I have never found any temps in the 60º's to cause harm. Mine experience this regualrly, and even dips lower when the windows are open through fall-spring. And I have never needed any supplemental heat.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Well during winter probably it's the most humid place of any house, so it has it's logic, but personally wouldn't put them somewhere where chemicals could affect them.

In my case I have a dog an a cat that have flea and tic treatments quite regularly, so knowing that some chemicals on those shampoos are lethal to arachnids, for me it's a big no. If the shower gels that you use are safe to them (particles in the air) I don't see too much problem placing them there, unless you keep that room fully saturated and poorly ventilated of course.
I'm the only one that uses the bathroom. Haven't been married for years, amen. If I still were then bathroom wouldn't work due to all the products she used to use.

I do move them out for a few days after I clean the bathroom.

The only thing that they are exposed to are the fumes from the 🚽, poor T's lol.