Heat in Tarantula ICU

BoehmeiRhapsody

Arachnopeon
My Brachypelma boehmi is in an ICU which I've placed on a heating pad. The temperature is just enough to keep the moist paper towels warm. Is there any specific duration for which I should keep it warm? I'm afraid I may be slow cooking her.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Room temp is fine, take the heat pad away. It is more likely to cause your T to be dehydrated then anything else. From your other post your T is about to molt. Remove the pad and wait till it's done AND the exo has hardened back up before moving it back into it's enclosure.

What size is your T?

cold blood

Staff member
Has this t had a heating pad in its normal enclosure? Could be the root cause of your issues.

BoehmeiRhapsody

Arachnopeon
Room temp is fine, take the heat pad away. It is more likely to cause your T to be dehydrated then anything else. From your other post your T is about to molt. Remove the pad and wait till it's done AND the exo has hardened back up before moving it back into it's enclosure.

What size is your T?
I just read your reply. I've had it on heat pad for 12 hours now. She's been on her back the entire time and her legs are curled in. I'd think she was dead but she slightly moves a leg every couple of hours.

Attachments

BoehmeiRhapsody

Arachnopeon
According to Google (which btw could fail hard) weather outside in the area is 24°C (75 F). IMO not cold at all, just saying :-s
I'm literally up on a mountain. You might be looking at temperatures in the cities. You've established that you don't have a very high opinion of ICUs. Could you please give me something that could be of help?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm literally up on a mountain. You might be looking at temperatures in the cities. You've established that you don't have a very high opinion of ICUs. Could you please give me something that could be of help?
No, I didn't said that. I've said that ICU and heat pads IMO is weird. ICU & room temperature, I say. But which temperature exactly you have, btw?

BoehmeiRhapsody

Arachnopeon
No, I didn't said that. I've said that ICU and heat pads IMO is weird. ICU & room temperature, I say. But which temperature exactly you have, btw?
I read this last Sunday thebugchicks.com/arthropods/tarantula-icu and it mentions use of a heat pad and so I went with it cos it worked out pretty well for them and was hoping it would be the same for me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read this last Sunday thebugchicks.com/arthropods/tarantula-icu and it mentions use of a heat pad and so I went with it cos it worked out pretty well for them and was hoping it would be the same for me.
What's more bizarre is those 2 people (the women who created that site) both have a MS in Entomology, one even did research on arachnids. God help them, and the people they are "helping" :rolleyes::bigtears::mad::vomit::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
at least one other member HAS given you something that could be of help... and I +1 it here... ICU's are an out dated method of "helping" tarantulas. Don't use one in the future.

cold blood

Staff member
Poor advice IMO.

An ICU is good for one thing, dehydration...and even then, not for ts accustomed to, or preferring dry (too much moisture can kill them)....a lot of times stress due to too much moisture mirrors dehydration (extreme lethargy), making assessing the situation accurately nearly impossible.

It needs water, not a humid environment...when its on its back, administer a drop of water to the base of the fangs, this is the best way to ensure the spider can and will get the water it needs.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Take a step back and think about it without any knowledge of tarantulas.

This spider is from an arid environment. Very little moisture, even during the rainy season. So, if the tarantula is sick, why would putting it in an environment approaching 100% humidity help? That would be like a doctor putting you under water if you had the flu.

Follow what @cold blood said, that's the most you can do.