HB 5817 details

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does anyone have the exact wording of RI's HB 5817, that outlaws "feeder animals"? Anyone have a link? Thanks!

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
Go to: http://www.pijac.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=94 scroll down to Rhode Island and "click on see bill text".
Thanks Jeremy,

I found this contained within the bill:

"4-23-5. Animal abuse in the first degree. -- (a) A person commits the crime of animal abuse in the first degree if, except as otherwise authorized by law, the person intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence:
(1) Causes serious physical injury to an animal; or
(2) Causes the death of an animal.
Animal abuse in the first degree is a felony."

I guess that means if you feed a cricket to a tarantula intentionally and/or knowingly in Rhode Island, its a felony under this law!

Anybody know what the status of this a$$ backward bill is now?

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It has been up once as a "model" that means now they are revising it. I am not sure exactly when it goes back up, or when it will be voted on, but I will find out.

There is still time to change it, and one of the really VOCAL supporters of the bill is having a great time privately chastising me and she informed me that they will be changing the definition of "animals" so we will see what happens.

Hopefully all the issues that would effect us will be resolved before it goes back up. Time will tell.