Hawaiian mahogonay protos!

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my mahogany S. s. subspinipes has been laying on eggs for weeks now, and i snuck a peek today and found she had a clutch of protos! i'm so excited. what should i do next? how long before they molt, and what is the best way to seperate them, etc. i'm so psyched!

pic of mom just before laying eggs. she's on the small side, i would have thought she was only premolt, so imagine my suprise! i'd say she's 4-5"

John

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
leave her w/babies she does everything,when the babies start coloring up,that's the time to seperate.good luck:clap: i always wait until the babies darken up,then they scatter all over.the babies will feed on mealworms,you can keep all of the babies together for a short period,then you seperate them from each other,or they will start eating each other,my centies are always having babies,i'm doing this all the time:)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i *have* stolen babies just before they color up.... i did one for sure and i think i did another, both S. polymorpha. both did fine and if you are absolutely freaking out about them getting eaten it might be something to consider

it does seem like mammas are much more inclined to eat eggs... once you have protos it seems like you are soemwhat out of the woods.... at least... it *seems* that way