Having trouble regulating humidity

Chicagoblue

Arachnopeon
For some reason i'm having great difficulty in keeping humidity levels at a constant level. I end up having to spray every 3 to 4 hrs to keep it at a acceptable level. More than 90% of the opening on top of my terrarium is covered.

Last edited:

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First, what kind of scorpion do you have? You can get a better answer if we know that.

Misting isn't really and effective way to add humidity to an enclosure. It basically just raises it very temporarily and then brings down the temperature of the enclosure as it evaporates. For species which require good humidity levels, a false bottom has often been done. The most simple form of a false bottom being adding and inch or so (depending on size of enclosure) of aquarium gravel first, then the required amount of substrate for your particular scorp. A straw or two is inserted at the back of the enclosure straight to the bottom for pouring water into. The soil stays moist as the water rises to the surface.

Hope this helps. i'm sure more ideas and questions will come forth for you from others with more experience.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For some reason i'm having great difficulty in keeping humidity levels at a constant level. I end up having to spray every 3 to 4 hrs to keep it at a acceptable level. More than 90% of the opening on top of my terrarium is covered.
I'll bet you have one of those silly hygrometers ;):D

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Humidity gauges are mostly worthless, imo. Your fingers are far more accurate. Keep in mind that scorpions spend most of their time directly on or under the substrate. Rainforest species should be kept at the point where the substrate is saturated, but not pooling.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes those hygrometers in the pet stores are kind of a gimmick to me. Next time go into a store and see that they all have different readings right next to each other. Some hides, moisture in the sub and some terr cover and mid 70's+, you're probably OK, but like others, I also wondering what kind of scorpion you have.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they are worthless, like llamastick said, use your finger to feel the substrate or your eyes to viewif their is condens on the sides of the enclosure.

Chicagoblue

Arachnopeon
I have a desert hairy scorpion with 5 inches of sand substrate. Thanks for all your replies. It is greatly appreciated!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a desert hairy scorpion with 5 inches of sand substrate. Thanks for all your replies. It is greatly appreciated!
??? this species does not need a high humidity and certainly not a spray every 3-4 hours.....Find a caresheet on this site...If you keep up that spraying with desert hairy's, your scorpion might get a fungal infection (mycosis). This is al easy to find basic info, so I am not going to explain further, no time for that, sorry.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, a Hadrurus arizonesis? My one and only scorpion is the same species =)
i keep him in a 2.5 ga. with an ~80/20 exo terra desert sand/peat moss combo. Wet down and packed tight for drying. Keep around 70ish to 90 degrees F and 30-50% humidity is what i found. No misting or false bottoms.

Chicagoblue

Arachnopeon
Mine is all sand substrate. Maybe if i use some peat moss into the mix it will hold the humidity better. Thanks ksmith999.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OP: The peat is not for humidity, it's for forming a stable substrate for burrowing and digging as these scorps love to do. Keep it bone dry, especially for the adults. A small water dish is fine but some say not even needed but once a month for a bit or so. i keep mine in all the time.

Chicagoblue

Arachnopeon
I understand that i must keep humidity low for this type of scorpion however it wasnt at a stable acceptable level. The humidity kept on going into unacceptable levels down from 40% to 25%. In general, peat moss is good for retaining water & humidity. I just mixed peat moss with the sand and now the humidity levels are at a constant acceptable level.

Last edited:

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The only time you need to worry about humidity with this species is when they're young instars JUST about to molt.

If yours is adult or not about to molt, keep it dry. No moisture at all. NONE

Just make sure it can burrow.

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Like everyone else says, keep it bone dry, it will obtain the moisture it needs from the food animals. This sp. is extremely vulnerable to mycosis attack, leading to a slow death.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I understand that i must keep humidity low for this type of scorpion however it wasnt at a stable acceptable level. The humidity kept on going into unacceptable levels down from 40% to 25%. In general, peat moss is good for retaining water & humidity. I just mixed peat moss with the sand and now the humidity levels are at a constant acceptable level.
Good for you!

No, I mean it, I am not being cynical :):):)