Having good luck with my current Ts and looking into M. balfouri?

ccole93

Arachnopeon
I have a 2” G. pulchra (which I got at 1/2” in Dec. 2018), a C. versicolor sling that is just over an inch, and a GBB sling that is just over an inch. My C. versicolor recently molted and did beautifully, and my G. pulchra was recently rehoused after its second molt in two months. GBB is doing wonderfully as well.

I’m feeling more confident after rehousing and successful molts/feeding and I really like M. balfouri. I’m a little unsure due to the venom being more potent, though I don’t hold my tarantulas and mostly treat them like pet fish.

I like colorful, large tarantulas. My GBB is fearless and super fun to watch webbing. I am a little unsure about highly venomous New World species but I read M. balfouri is fairly calm for a baboon? Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
The personality of every tarantula is different.

My M. Balfouri is skittish but would never show aggression. It would rather run than bite. Meanwhile I have friends that have M. balfouri’s that I swear came from the depths of hell.

The only way a tarantula is ever going to bite anyone is if you’re not careful.

Take precautions: Have a catch cup, maybe do rehouses in the bath tub, and even possibly wear gloves.

mellow

Arachnobaron
M. balfourie are super cool! But be careful when dealing with old world tarantulas but don't worry too much, do your research and you should be fine.
😃

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The only way a tarantula is ever going to bite anyone is if you’re not careful.
I disagree with this statement.

Only and ever are very concrete / absolute words. There have been people who were careful and still managed to get bitten.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My balfouri is by far my most defensive T. Stands her ground and strikes repeatedly when disturbed. This actually makes her easier to deal with than fast bolty tarantulas.
Balfouri are very colorful, but not big. If you want big and colorful I recommend Grammostola iheringi. Bright red abdomen, legs and carapace that are a beautiful black that can look silver or deep blue depending on the lighting.
40461E28-A10B-42AF-8C86-0BA1C779E8CC.jpeg

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
You mean you are a little unsure about highly venomous OLD WORLD tarantulas?

M. balfouri is an Old World not a New World.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
My balfouri is by far my most defensive T. Stands her ground and strikes repeatedly when disturbed. This actually makes her easier to deal with than fast bolty tarantulas.
Balfouri are very colorful, but not big. If you want big and colorful I recommend Grammostola iheringi. Bright red abdomen, legs and carapace that are a beautiful black that can look silver or deep blue depending on the lighting.
View attachment 352337
Truly one of my favourite Ts, incredibly beautiful!

Attachments

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
My friend's M balfouri is an absolute sweetheart. I don't have one yet because I want a communal and I don't have room for one.

If it were me, I would wait until I had some rehouses with the GBB under my belt. If you have already done that, I don't think that an M balfouri is a bad move. As others have mentioned if you do your research, you should be fine.