Have you ever?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Note that I already know it's frowned upon to handle your tarantulas and I don't do it unless I have to. Anyway, has anyone ever picked up a tarantula after it threw up a threat posture? Only reason I ask is because I know a guy who handles his OBT regularly, which is pretty insane!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
P. murinus are not the monsters that people make them out to be.

However, he will more than likely get a wet dose soon. Then he will wish he didnt bother.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nope. I do handle some of mine a few times a year for classroom demonstrations, but if one of them gives me a threat pose (or runs and hides or otherwise expresses a desire to be left alone) I respect that and select a different spider to show the kids. I also explain clearly to the kids what I'm doing - and why - so they understand that I'm considering the well-being of the animal and not just randomly grabbing it without regard to its opinion on the matter. This is why I keep multiple docile NW terrestrials - even if one of them isn't in the mood, I can always find another one that's more cooperative.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I did once, my G. porteri when I suspected she had nematodes. But it took about an hour of me prodding at her to get the threat pose because she's so sweet and it wasn't really a full threat pose, and I pinch-grabbed her after to flip her over and inspect her mouth parts. So I don't know if you'd consider that handling.
I used to handle her a lot but not so much anymore, she's way too fat. I really only handle if I'm doing tank cleaning and they wander out.

I'd never insist on handling a T just for the sake of doing it after it giving a threat pose, just like I wouldn't try to snuggle my cat if he's grumpy and has his claws out, or I wouldn't poke fun at my hubby while he's in a foul mood. It's just a courtesy thing, both for the sake of the animal and our own well-being.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Never, the only handling I ever do is when my E. Sp. Red casually walks out of her enclosure, which if you own one of these you know they do that constantly. I just let her walk out and then I move my hand closer to her hide and i direct her into it.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've handled my Brachypelma Smithi lass a few times when she's been rehoused. She made her way up the side so I just put my hand to her and she walked on. I was on the floor so it just seemed easier.

She went in her permanent home a good while ago now so I've had no need to handle her. And I shan't do.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
I don't handle my Ts. Handling after a threat posture is comparible to petting a dog that's snarling at you.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Not gonna lie, Yes, I used to handle when I first got into the hobby, but with added research and actually getting to know my tarantulas' moods, the handing stopped rather quickly. I wouldn't dare risk putting my fingers in my B. smithi's enclosure for the fact she thinks EVERY little movement is food and tries to attack it. After I had a VERY close call with one of my C. gracilis adult females, that did me in with bare handing ANYTHING and gave me a higher respect to NOT get too comfy around them, or even my T's for that matter. Not to sound mean when I say this, but that guy is an idiot and one day will get a good dose of a wet bite.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Might be my German sense for order and correctness but I absolutely wouldn't handle any T, except in whatever sort of emergency situation where I would have no choice.
While chances that something happens (be it a bite or a fall) might be slim, I just do not see any reason to raise that risk.

It's like nuclear power.
I'm against it no matter what because if something happens, it's going to really, really suck. So why risk it in the first place?
Accepting that risk voluntarily, I honestly find rather irresponsible, especially since there's no benefit or reason to it (emergencies/medical aid excluded, obviously)

Simple logic of a simple guy maybe.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Never, the only handling I ever do is when my E. Sp. Red casually walks out of her enclosure, which if you own one of these you know they do that constantly. I just let her walk out and then I move my hand closer to her hide and i direct her into it.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
No what you mean these little guys are always seem to want to come out , had mine since November, the previous owner had him / her out all the time . I myself have never had them out , but they are adorable ( for a spider anyway ) I'm sure he senses when I sit down and relax, cuz the next minute his climbed up and looks like his come to say hello !

joly17

Arachnopeon
It's like nuclear power.
I'm against it no matter what because if something happens, it's going to really, really suck. So why risk it in the first place?
Accepting that risk voluntarily, I honestly find rather irresponsible, especially since there's no benefit or reason to it (emergencies/medical aid excluded, obviously)

Simple logic of a simple guy maybe.
not trying to start a huge debate but you should watch pandoras promise on netflix, brings to a light a lot of misconceptions people have about nuclear power and its dangers and what would happen if a meltdown happened in the US. Definitely worth looking into and maybe reconsidering your views!

- Nuclear Mechanic

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
not trying to start a huge debate but you should watch pandoras promise on netflix, brings to a light a lot of misconceptions people have about nuclear power and its dangers and what would happen if a meltdown happened in the US. Definitely worth looking into and maybe reconsidering your views!

- Nuclear Mechanic
Yeah?
Then let's talk about Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Fukushima, Chernobyl and a handful or more reactors slowly decomposing on the bottoms of the Atlantic, Pacific, Barents Sea, Kara Sea and, at least, also the Baltic Sea (from nuclear submarines).

What 'misconceptions' will prevent the latter from causing unforeseeable harm to the fragile environment that are our oceans and life lines?
And how long until the first named places are safe again, or how long until the last victim of the radiation from the two bombs stop suffering aka die?

And the nuclear waste we arrogantly stuff under earth - hoping (not being sure!) it can actually be safely contained this way for thousands of years without incidents that may result in nuclear waste contaminating drinking water etc.

Typically human, we handle nuclear power (and weapons) very irresponsible.
It's one thing if a gas plant blows up.
It's another when a nuclear plant does.

Yes yes, "it's safe and clean".
Sorry, but I'm not convinced, since the opposite has been proven multiple times since 1945.
Will definitely check the documentary if I get the opportunity, though.

(not wanting an argument either, but that's my pov and also pretty much all I feel is need to be said regarding nuclear power/weapons.)

joly17

Arachnopeon
Yeah?
Then let's talk about Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Fukushima, Chernobyl and a handful or more reactors slowly decomposing on the bottoms of the Atlantic, Pacific, Barents Sea, Kara Sea and, at least, also the Baltic Sea (from nuclear submarines).

What 'misconceptions' will prevent the latter from causing unforeseeable harm to the fragile environment that are our oceans and life lines?
And how long until the first named places are safe again, or how long until the last victim of the radiation from the two bombs stop suffering aka die?

And the nuclear waste we arrogantly stuff under earth - hoping (not being sure!) it can actually be safely contained this way for thousands of years without incidents that may result in nuclear waste contaminating drinking water etc.

Typically human, we handle nuclear power (and weapons) very irresponsible.
It's one thing if a gas plant blows up.
It's another when a nuclear plant does.

Yes yes, "it's safe and clean".
Sorry, but I'm not convinced, since the opposite has been proven multiple times since 1945.
Will definitely check the documentary if I get the opportunity, though.

(not wanting an argument either, but that's my pov and also pretty much all I feel is need to be said regarding nuclear power/weapons.)
no that makes sense and im not gonna run all over and dig up numbers and articles but simply put, All reactor plants in the US have these redundant safeguards where if one fails then theres three more to back it up and if the computers even think that there is going to be a failure just to be safe itll go ahead and shut it all down. The weapons side of it obviously yeah thats horrible right with japan and our bombing them. talking about the reactor accidents in the US, being built by people leading the charge on nuclear power and not people trying to play catchup and taking shortcuts through things, really its not bad at all. As long as we hold ourselves to the standard of safety being the number one priority and making sure every person manning that reactor has an immense level of knowledge I think nuclear power will revolutionize the world.

Just my opinion on the matter, having been training and working on Nuclear aircraft carriers for the past few years

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
there are a lot of popular Instagram pages whose gallery consists only of them handling their pets. :banghead: they are a poor representation of the hobby.
I'm not joking either! @i.dream.of.spiders is his Instagram name.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
no that makes sense and im not gonna run all over and dig up numbers and articles but simply put, All reactor plants in the US have these redundant safeguards where if one fails then theres three more to back it up and if the computers even think that there is going to be a failure just to be safe itll go ahead and shut it all down. The weapons side of it obviously yeah thats horrible right with japan and our bombing them. talking about the reactor accidents in the US, being built by people leading the charge on nuclear power and not people trying to play catchup and taking shortcuts through things, really its not bad at all. As long as we hold ourselves to the standard of safety being the number one priority and making sure every person manning that reactor has an immense level of knowledge I think nuclear power will revolutionize the world.

Just my opinion on the matter, having been training and working on Nuclear aircraft carriers for the past few years
All you mention are reactors or standards in the US. What about Russia, France, China,...?

I'd argue the plant in Fukushima had highly qualified Staff and tech as well, but as usual mother nature reminded us about reality.

What if the San Andreas crack is gonna have a really bad day some time soon?
What if other natural disasters (that occur more and more often) will damage a plant?
The confidence you express is pretty much what I meant that is so dangerous.
History shows how it ended, every time, we over-estimated our capabilities, or underestimated nature.

I hope you're right and at least in the US everything's dandy - but with nuclear power, location becomes rather secondary. In the end, the wind decides. ;)

Side note, on what CVN did you serve?

Last edited: