• Yes

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 92.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
4 years, 90 Ts, not even a close call as of yet. Hope to keep it that way lol.

+1 to this. Why even run the risk knowing the consequences, when it only takes an additional second or two to use tongs? Just a needless mistake waiting to happen.
True. Thanks for the reminder.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
True. Thanks for the reminder.
NP, always good to have a reminder to keep you from getting too complacent. It's just safer, for everyone involved. One of those "you get lucky until you don't" situations, you know? And the one time you run out of luck will make you feel really sorry lol. Not trying to bust your chops by any means, only hope for the well-being of both you and your Ts. :happy:

Skorpy

Arachnopeon
I always test first with a brush to see what mood mine are in if I want to handle at any time. Otherwise they mistake your hand for food. Or are just in a crabby mood. My Brachypelma albopilosum is a hair flicker, hoping will grow out of it.
I tend not to handle mine often anyway.
I do love my little balls of scruff

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
NP, always good to have a reminder to keep you from getting too complacent. It's just safer, for everyone involved. One of those "you get lucky until you don't" situations, you know? And the one time you run out of luck will make you feel really sorry lol. Not trying to bust your chops by any means, only hope for the well-being of both you and your Ts. :happy:
I know and I appreciate it! Complacency is absolutely right. Don't grab the tongs once and "it was okay last time" so it becomes a bad habit. Not worth a C. lividus bite, though. ;)

hunterc

Arachnopeon
Not by any of my tarantulas, BUT i have been bitten by two latrodectus mactans at the same time..must have bumped into a nest and two got into my shirt and bit me on the point of the shoulder. It was four days of pure hell. Vomiting, extreme cramps, profuse sweating, and really weird muscle spasms, ect. Dont plan on doin that again anytime soon

Skorpy

Arachnopeon
New to the Board and finding my way around, and just putting my thoughts out there

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No. Its very easy to avoid when you only deal with ~100 spiders.

Importers who unpack thousands in a day probably have different experiences.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I've never been bitten, but once, I felt Genicula's fangs graze my hand when he tried to get out, and I reflexively moved my hand to block his escape. However, I don't think he was trying to bite me, as his fangs did not even break the skin or leave a mark. (As an Acanthoscurria geniculata, his actual feeding response is nuts, and I'm sure a real bite would break the skin.) I think he may have just been gripping with his fangs, if that makes any sense.
This gave me COLD Shivers....

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I've never been bitten but I had a close call a few months ago. I was feeding my extremely food-motivated P. cambridgei and she ran up my feeding tongs. I learned a lesson that day: just drop the food in!

Rbed2

Arachnopeon
I want to start by saying the following T is an absolute sweetheart. i was very lightly tagged by A.chalcodes(3.5")in the fall of 2018. i was pinch grabbing it to try and determine the sex(now know to be female). She was a very calm T and i was surprised. I m pretty sure i inadvertently breathed on her a d she rotated just enough and stabbed her fangs right on the side of my thumb nail. Pretty sure she was just reacting because she was very calm after the bite. No i dont think she was trying to use her fangs to pull herself along but i could be wrong. NEWB MISTAKE for sure.

brightlight

Arachnopeon
No, but I'm still fairly new to the hobby. Though I'm hoping that if I continue to stay cautious and put safety first it won't ever become an issue. Though I do know that sometimes spiders do their own thing and say "screw your safety". My little Selenotypus Sp. 6 -Wallace species (Aussie old world) was a grumpy little sling, and I wondered if she would become an issue, but now she's a juvie she seems to have calmed down. We'll see how things go with the rest of them as time goes on.