• Yes

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 92.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eukio

Arachnosquire
Maybe? I didn't see my defensive T. vagans until she was near me, and I had some damage on my finger after I removed my hand which was near her. However, I don't know if that damage was done prior by something else. Maybe it was a dry bite?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I've been bitten by my crysodrumus sp Puriscal it ran towards my thumb and sat there untill I tried to remove it then it sank it's fangs into my thumb

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I’m only a almost a year in and no...hope to keep it that way.

But I’m also the dumbass who will take out an OW’s water dish with my hands (if they’re hiding).

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Almost, managed to keep my finger away in time. Happened only once while I'm rehousing my G. pulchripes.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Not yet. I don't make a point to put my hand in their enclosures unless absolutely necessary (sometimes I can't grip the water dishes with my tongs) but if I do I make sure they're as far away from me as possible.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I treat all my T's like they are radioactive, so I don't see it happening any time soon, I hope.

FinnMosin

Arachnopeon
Yes. Wild Aphonopelma hentzi. Didn't check before putting my boots back on while camping. Spider was unharmed, bite was nearly painless. Slight numb tingling. 2-10. Pain from the mechanical damage from fangs was non-existent. 0-10.

Tarantulas in captivity? Nope. No bites.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got nailed by a female P. Metallica. It hurt but it was a dry bite. No harm but I deserved it for my stupidity.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I had a H. mac sling bolt into my armpit and bite me. That’s my only tarantula experience so far.
This is the best post by a victim thus far. I am not being facetious, I know how fast these critters can be, as one of mine took off one time and I completely lost sight of it and thought I had an escape, but thankfully it remained in its enclosure. However, I am curious as to the effects, if any, that resulted from the bite.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Simple question, have you been bitten by a tarantula that you or someone you know owns?
I've never been bitten, but once, I felt Genicula's fangs graze my hand when he tried to get out, and I reflexively moved my hand to block his escape. However, I don't think he was trying to bite me, as his fangs did not even break the skin or leave a mark. (As an Acanthoscurria geniculata, his actual feeding response is nuts, and I'm sure a real bite would break the skin.) I think he may have just been gripping with his fangs, if that makes any sense.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I've never been bitten by any t in my collection yet... even though my P sazimai has climbed on to the lid and tried sticking it's fangs through the airholes to bite (high strung little t lol).

I have been bit by a really dumb acquaintance's hamorii. He was one of those morons who got a t for shock value and to scare people. You know the type :banghead:. Well he thought it would be lots of laughs to sneak up behind me and put the t on my head while I was playing guitar. I felt a slap and the palps feeling my head (measuring for food I'm guessing). This is really dumb because I move a lot while playing and could easily have flung the spider. Fast forward 5 hours and my head just started itching like crazy. Thats when I realized that I got haired. Got home and looked and found 2 tiny puncture wounds close to the site of the itching! It was a little swollen and sore for a few hours so I am guessing a wet bite but who knows. I really didn't notice it except for that brutal itchy feeling! :bored:

I've never been bitten, but once, I felt Genicula's fangs graze my hand when he tried to get out, and I reflexively moved my hand to block his escape. However, I don't think he was trying to bite me, as his fangs did not even break the skin or leave a mark. (As an Acanthoscurria geniculata, his actual feeding response is nuts, and I'm sure a real bite would break the skin.) I think he may have just been gripping with his fangs, if that makes any sense.
I have heard of this before. If the spider starts to feel unsure of its footing they can lift themselves up with their fangs. Saw a video of this once. This kid was handling and the t pulled itself up on the kids hand using its fangs. Didn't even break the skin!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Don't go looking for trouble, because sooner or later you will find it.
I’m sure, yeah.

Have you ever had a spider bolt out of their burrow or hide to attack whatever you’re moving around in their enclosure? I’ve been careless and lucky and haven’t seen it but I’m sure they could react to the vibration with a feeding response...

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Never been bitten by a T, but I have been bitten by a Southern Black Widow during Basic Training at Fort Jackson. Worst muscle cramps I've ever had prior to fracturing my back while deployed in the Army. My back felt like it was being twisted into knots. I've also suffered multiple bee stings from my bee colonies, which hurt less the more you get stung. You end up building antibodies to their venom.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I've also suffered multiple bee stings from my bee colonies,
My nieces' husband, who keeps bees, recently asked me if I worry about getting bit by my T's. I had to inform him about the difference between T's (defensive, only bite if pushed into it) and bees (aggressive - in defense of their nest at least).

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
4 years, 90 Ts, not even a close call as of yet. Hope to keep it that way lol.

Don't go looking for trouble, because sooner or later you will find it.
+1 to this. Why even run the risk knowing the consequences, when it only takes an additional second or two to use tongs? Just a needless mistake waiting to happen.