• Yes

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 92.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
Obviously there’s no point in asking the generalised question ‘what was it like?’ because the venom in different species can vary greatly, so everybodies experience will be different. What I was wanting to ascertain is what was happening at the time? For instance, has anybody ever been handling a T that appeared to be calm and then it suddenly tagged you? and was there any obvious trigger or did the T just change? I guess I’m more interested in the behaviour leading up to the bite.

Sorry if this question has been asked a lot but I couldnt find much information.

Thanks

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Never happened. I haven't seen too many members that have ever been tagged. I used to handle a lot of tarantulas, so I'm probably pretty lucky I've never experienced a bite.

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
Never happened. I haven't seen too many members that have ever been tagged. I used to handle a lot of tarantulas, so I'm probably pretty lucky I've never experienced a bite.
That’s good, probably more down to expertise than luck! It seems that being tagged isn’t as common as you’d think. I never hear of anybody getting tagged, not even on YouTube vids, aside from RobC Tarantula Guy, who seemed to make it his mission in life to get tagged by as many old worlds as possible! what’s the most risky T you handled in your opinion?

Last edited:

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
Yes, and because I'm a cricket
What a clever cricket you are, surviving the attack of a Tarantula.

I find that surprising, that a cricket with advanced intellectual capacity to understand and speak a human language and master using tech/social media (do crickets have opposable thumbs?) was silly enough to put themselves in the way of a T. Still you can’t have it all!

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Never been bit. Don't handle and never feed when I'm tired or don't have much time.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
In my youth I handled a lot of wild tarantulas in the Arizona desert and can't say I've ever been bitten by any of them.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I think my L. Parahybana sling tried to bite me when she tried to go adventuring during an enclusure rearrangement. It tickled.

Many years ago (25?) before the interwebz, and before I knew anything about not handling. My 6” G. Rosea was crawling on my hand, and I held my hand vertically and as she was crawling over the top she used her fangs to help lift herself over the edge. Her fangs depressed the side of my index finger gently and they looked about 6 feet long. (They were close to an inch) I handled much more carefully after that. Now not at all.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes i have been bitten by a tarantula and i still own the little bugger now. It was during a routine feeding a normally calm 1" sling suddenly bolted up the side of the enclosure and on to my thumb it just sat there until i tried to move it with a paintbrush, then suddenly as quick as a flash it sank it's fangs in then bolted back in the enclosure i never realised I'd been bit until my thumb started to itch then i i noticed 2 red dots. It was a Crypsidromus prurical and i only have 3 words to say regarding this

BEWARE GENUS CRYSIDROMUS

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
That’s good, probably more down to expertise than luck! It seems that being tagged isn’t as common as you’d think. I never hear of anybody getting tagged, not even on YouTube vids, aside from RobC Tarantula Guy, who seemed to make it his mission in life to get tagged by as many old worlds as possible! what’s the most risky T you handled in your opinion?
I've never handled an old world, except maybe unpacking them as spiderlings. I handled a 9 inch T stirmi to keep her from falling out of her tank. I only purposely handled rosehairs, pinktoes, a curly hair, and a pumpkin patch. I've learned better over the years, and don't handle at all these days. Oh, I've handled the red rump in my avatar pic too.

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
I think my L. Parahybana sling tried to bite me when she tried to go adventuring during an enclusure rearrangement. It tickled.

Many years ago (25?) before the interwebz, and before I knew anything about not handling. My 6” G. Rosea was crawling on my hand, and I held my hand vertically and as she was crawling over the top she used her fangs to help lift herself over the edge. Her fangs depressed the side of my index finger gently and they looked about 6 feet long. (They were close to an inch) I handled much more carefully after that. Now not at all.
Aww there’s that video on YouTube where the c verse punctures a lads hand after he was cupping it, it used its fangs as leverage to escape and pierced his skin! I e never see a sling in a threat posture. I’d love to know what the smallest sling people have seen ina threat posture. That may be my next question!

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
Yes i have been bitten by a tarantula and i still own the little bugger now. It was during a routine feeding a normally calm 1" sling suddenly bolted up the side of the enclosure and on to my thumb it just sat there until i tried to move it with a paintbrush, then suddenly as quick as a flash it sank itsi fangs in then bolted back in the enclosure i never realised I'd been bit until my thumb started to itch then i i nonotid 2 red dots. It was a Crypsidromus prurical and i only have 3 words to say regarding this

BEWARE GENUS CRYSIDROMUS
What a little monkey! I was just saying I e never see a sling give athreat posture I bet it looks funny! My dad has a 1” B emilia that threat postures from time to time, I e never witnessed it though! My campestratus is the only T I have that has ever gave a threat posture to me! During a rehouse! It was only 3” and that looked cute as hell!

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
I've never handled an old world, except maybe unpacking them as spiderlings. I handled a 9 inch T stirmi to keep her from falling out of her tank. I only purposely handled rosehairs, pinktoes, a curly hair, and a pumpkin patch. I've learned better over the years, and don't handle at all these days. Oh, I've handled the red rump in my avatar pic too.
I handled a B albopilosum and an A chalchodes in a pet store but that is because the shopkeeper got them out to show me and they walked onto me. So I thought it would be safer to go with it then try to stop them! They seemed determined! Oh and I’ve handle a couple of Avics but only when they’ve escaped during feeding, those little monkeys love walking out their enclosure. If I use my paint brush to guide them back they just use the paintbrush to escape further!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Been tagged once by my Corn Snake but never by any of my tarantulas.

I’d love to know what the smallest sling people have seen ina threat posture. That may be my next question!
1.5" Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus (proper threat pose)
1" Thrixopelma ockerti (the cute little bum-in-the-air threat pose that Thrixies do)

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon

1" Thrixopelma ockerti (the cute little bum-in-the-air threat pose that Thrixies do)

Crikey full threat pose from a little sling! How cute! Yeah I suppose Ive had some sling threat poses then, my G pulchra sling does that silly bum thing!

It’s good to hear that you have never been tagged by that bat sh*t cray hamorii! xxx

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire

My lil' pruri does that, Thrixies are just adorable lol