Have yet to see Venezuelan Sun Tiger feed :(

Maikeru

Arachnopeon
20200208_171147.jpg

I have had it for about a month. I know it hasn't eaten any of the live prey I have provided. Maybe it's near a molt?

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
Post some pictures of your setup. Psalmopoeus need slightly moist substrate especially as slings, it looks pretty dry in there. How big was the prey offered? Sometimes when housed too large slings have trouble finding food. A 32 oz deli cup with a piece of corkbark leaned against the side and fake plants at the base works well for Psalmopoeus slings.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Yeah it doesn't look like it's starving. Probably will molt soon. It should eventually construct a lair and hang out near the entrance to catch food that passes by. That's what mine have done. Not sure what you have it in but it looks like it might be too large of an enclosure.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
This thread made me realize I've had my adult P. irminia over 2 years and have never once seen her feed. Of course I've only seen her maybe a dozen times since I got her, so......:ninja:

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I think mine is a penultimate male and I've never seen it eat ever, but somehow it is fat.

I wouldn't worry too much XD

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I wouldn't worry too much XD
Oh I'm not worried, the rare occasions I do see her she's fat. I'd just like to see her do normal tarantula things, or even just see her. I recently bought 2 irminia slings and have seen them more in the first month then I've seen my female since I've had her, so I have hope for the future.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Oh I'm not worried, the rare occasions I do see her she's fat. I'd just like to see her do normal tarantula things, or even just see her. I recently bought 2 irminia slings and have seen them more in the first month then I've seen my female since I've had her, so I have hope for the future.
You just won't see her. It's a P irminia thing XD

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I am having the same problem but mine started out eating everything and I loved it but now it has not touched any food since 1/14/20. It built its home with dirt curtains and doesn't leave that tiny space. Where should I put pre-killed feeders for it ?

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
Yep congrats on the molt! You can see the old exo next to it in a pic. As usual wait til fangs harden to feed

Maikeru

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help. Here it is now. What are the white spots on the abdomen? I think maybe it's in premol t again already!!

I'll probably have to wait a long while before I know the sex right? This species is sexually dimorphic when adulthood is reached, but before then it's hard to sex right ?

Attachments

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
The only white spots I see are booklungs which they are supposed to have. They are actually one of the easier species to sex. When they are around two inches you can usually vent sex them. You definitely don't need to wait until maturity to sex this species.

Maikeru

Arachnopeon
Gotcha so those are the book longs thanks! I didn't know that!

Cockroaches and mantids are so easy to sex ventrally after a few molts. I think it's fascinating that with spiders [arachnids in general?] It's less obvious.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Ime, some species are easier than others. Psalmopoeus are among the easiest to vent sex. Here is my female for reference
. If you look in between the top two book lungs there is a slit. Females can have a whitish protrusion out of that slit. Can look lips almost. Someone can probably exain it better than I can

Maikeru

Arachnopeon
Such a lovely girl :) it's too bad the species is shy and skittish so it's rarely visible.