Have i bought the right topsoil?

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
I have just bought this topsoil but I am not sure if it will be suitable. I usually get Westland topsoil and have never had any problems. Today while at my local garden centre, this is all they had. It says it is 100% organic peat free with no added chemicals, but it is blended loam topsoil and not the plain topsoil like the wetland variety. I guess it may be OK but just thought I'd check to see if anyone knows. 16505593779728179608980050632383.jpg thanks!

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
Yes! It says no added pesticides or fertiliser or chemicals. It's just it says it is blended with loam, with I guess is rotten leaves I guess??? I guess decaying leaves won't cause any harm, it's just I normally use the plain topsoil. I guess the worst that can happen is it may have a little more mould than normal topsoil. But most of my T's are NW terrestrial like Brachy's, Tliltocatl's and Grammostola's so they are not particularly moisture dependent, so it won't be getting too damp.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
Yes! It says no added pesticides or fertiliser or chemicals. It's just it says it is blended with loam, with I guess is rotten leaves I guess??? I guess decaying leaves won't cause any harm, it's just I normally use the plain topsoil. I guess the worst that can happen is it may have a little more mould than normal topsoil. But most of my T's are NW terrestrial like Brachy's, Tliltocatl's and Grammostola's so they are not particularly moisture dependent, so it won't be getting too damp.
On Supagrows web site it says it contains a slow-release fertiliser. It doesn’t say exactly what fertiliser, though. Maybe send them an email and ask? Edit: better yet, phone the number on the bag.

https://www.supagrow.co.uk/products/topsoil/p/blended-loam

Last edited:

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
On Supagrows web site it says it contains a slow-release fertiliser. It doesn’t say exactly what fertiliser, though. Maybe send them an email and ask? Edit: better yet, phone the number on the bag.

https://www.supagrow.co.uk/products/topsoil/p/blended-loam
Oh, I'll have to investigate then. It does say on the ingredients "no added chemicals or pesticides" but I will investigate a little more before I use it.

You may get mold due to leaves - but spot pick it out
That's what I thought with the added leaves, but the T's I have are not really moisture dependent, so apart from a water bowl and very occasional overflow of the water bowl, it will be kept fairly dry.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's just it says it is blended with loam, with I guess is rotten leaves I guess???
Uncontaminated bioactive topsoil is very hard to come by and usually expensive. So many suppliers mix in loam which is much easier and cheaper to come by..
Loam = 2 parts sand, 2 parts silt, 1 part clay. This usually indicates the aggregate company is dredging a river or using alluvial river or stream run off. Which means it contains whatever the heck chemicals have drained into the river upstream. Our house is sitting on sandy loam on the bank of a river. 3 part sand, 1 parts silt, 1 part clay and almost enough ammonium nitrate to be used as a precursor for explosives along with a hefty load of glyphosate the keep our veggie garden from thriving. The down side of living in a farming community.

Last edited:

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
Oh, I'll have to investigate then. It does say on the ingredients "no added chemicals or pesticides" but I will investigate a little more before I use it.
Just give them a ring, ask exactly what the slow-release fertiliser is. If you do, please post the answer here for future reference. I’d be interested to know. Good luck.

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
Uncontaminated bioactive topsoil is very hard to come by and usually expensive. So many suppliers mix in loam which is much easier and cheaper to come by..
Loam = 2 parts sand, 2 parts silt, 1 part clay. This usually indicates the aggregate company is dredging a river or using alluvial river or stream run off. Which means it contains whatever the heck chemicals have drained into the river upstream. Our house is sitting on sandy loam on the bank of a river. 3 part sand, 1 parts silt, 1 part clay and almost enough ammonium nitrate to be used as a precursor for explosives along with a hefty load of glyphosate the keep our veggie garden from thriving. The down side of living in a farming community.
Ok! Thanx for your input. I will leave it for now then. I will try to contact the company in the week, and see what they say. I have just had a couple of juveniles that have moulted so they will need rehousing very soon. I have got lots of coco-fiber that will do for now but I have been trying to use plain topsoil in every new rehouse since I have been advised to do on here.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
or sadly, downstream

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I have just bought this topsoil but I am not sure if it will be suitable. I usually get Westland topsoil and have never had any problems. Today while at my local garden centre, this is all they had. It says it is 100% organic peat free with no added chemicals, but it is blended loam topsoil and not the plain topsoil like the wetland variety. I guess it may be OK but just thought I'd check to see if anyone knows. View attachment 416155 thanks!
Not sure how you got on with this stuff but I see you're UK based, I've been using Westlands Topsoil mixed with my coco. A 35L bag is about 5 quid in store (Amazon normally has them too but at £15 a shot).

I always sieve through it as I have found the occasional piece of plastic/stone.

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
Not sure how you got on with this stuff but I see you're UK based, I've been using Westlands Topsoil mixed with my coco. A 35L bag is about 5 quid in store (Amazon normally has them too but at £15 a shot).

I always sieve through it as I have found the occasional piece of plastic/stone.
Usually use westlands myself, but couldn't get any on the day. I never did use the other stuff yet. When I get chance I will enquire about it, but haven't had chance yet.