Hati Hati sling won't eat. Any tips?

Dimator

Arachnopeon
About a month ago , I received a cyriopagopus sp. Hati hati sling (around 1.5cm). From the moment I rehoused it, it adopted its premade burrow behind the cork bark , started webbing it up, and now seldom leaves it. Once it was settled I introduced a small pre killed mealworm as prey and left it inside the enclosure for 24 hours with no interest at all.
Since then,I introduce prey (various kinds as mealworm parts, dubia parts and red runners) once every 5 days. Usually I leave it overnight and in the morning nothing has changed, only one time I couldn't find the mealworm so I supposed that it has been fed.
I know that they can go under long periods without food but since it's too small I want to be sure that everything's ok.
Has anyone similar experiences with such thing?
Any tips?

sasker

Arachnoprince
Pic of the enclosure would also be helpful. Maybe it's too big and the sling is not feeling comfortable. Maybe it's too dry. Maybe the mealworm was placed too far away from the hiding spot.

Slings, and tarantulas in general, not eating is very common, and not necessarily a bad thing. There are many reasons why this may occur, but without any pictures our guess is as good as yours.

Dimator

Arachnopeon
Pic of the enclosure would also be helpful. Maybe it's too big and the sling is not feeling comfortable. Maybe it's too dry. Maybe the mealworm was placed too far away from the hiding spot.

Slings, and tarantulas in general, not eating is very common, and not necessarily a bad thing. There are many reasons why this may occur, but without any pictures our guess is as good as yours.
I'm posting some pictures so you can get an idea.
I moist the substrate twice a week and also I have some sphagnum moss inside the enclosure.
I also tried placing the prey in various positions close to the burrow IMG_20210515_131339.jpg IMG_20210515_131345.jpg IMG_20210515_131413.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Actually, mines did the same thing. I remember when I got some slings of this species, one of them didn't eat for almost 2 weeks. Then one day it finally just took a pre-killed chopped mealworm that I left overnight. Today, she's still alive and well and is now a young mature female.

I don't know how fat or healthy your sling is because I cannot see in the photos. But as long as it is not too skinny then it should be fine. I would still leave pre-killed prey every couple days to see if it will eat it overnight. But a tarantula usually knows what they are doing. I would just give it some time and see how it goes. I hope this gives some insight.

Dimator

Arachnopeon
Actually, mines did the same thing. I remember when I got some slings of this species, one of them didn't eat for almost 2 weeks. Then one day it finally just took a pre-killed chopped mealworm that I left overnight. Today, she's still alive and well and is now a young mature female.

I don't know how fat or healthy your sling is because I cannot see in the photos. But as long as it is not too skinny then it should be fine. I would still leave pre-killed prey every couple days to see if it will eat it overnight. But a tarantula usually knows what they are doing. I would just give it some time and see how it goes. I hope this gives some insight.
Thanks that's was very helpful. Thing is I can't see mine very often as other prefers to stay hidden. Last time I saw it, abdomen was looking ok, not to thin not to fat.
I was worried about if the certain species like mealworms or not

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks that's was very helpful. Thing is I can't see mine very often as other prefers to stay hidden. Last time I saw it, abdomen was looking ok, not to thin not to fat.
I was worried about if the certain species like mealworms or not
There’s no species specific preference for the common feeders.

BUT, many specimens may or may not eat certain prey, particularly if they are used to one kind over time. I’ve observed this.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Any consideration given to being in premolt?
I literally never see my hati hati. The most I see of it is when it molts. And that's only because it leaves its molt outside the burrow!!
I saw it when it arrived, and that's it. And I've had it for about a year.

Dimator

Arachnopeon
Any consideration given to being in premolt?
I literally never see my hati hati. The most I see of it is when it molts. And that's only because it leaves its molt outside the burrow!!
I saw it when it arrived, and that's it. And I've had it for about a year.
I have it about a month, the second week I found no trace of the mealworm so I assumed it was fed, since then no response. It may be in premolt but its 2 weeks+. Isn't it a bit longer than the average pre molt for such a small sling?

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I have it about a month, the second week I found no trace of the mealworm so I assumed it was fed, since then no response. It may be in premolt but its 2 weeks+. Isn't it a bit longer than the average pre molt for such a small sling?
They are all individual so you can't go on the "average".
The species is also a very secretive and reclusive burrower.

Dimator

Arachnopeon
They are all individual so you can't go on the "average".
The species is also a very secretive and reclusive burrower.
Yep, I haven't seen mine much too. Anyways I hope that it really is in premolt

cold blood

Staff member
It may be in premolt but its 2 weeks+. Isn't it a bit longer than the average pre molt for such a small sling?
How long pre molt lasts is dependent on how much food was previously given....since you dont know how much or how quickly is was fed before you got it, we can only guess....but ts plumped fast, will need significantly more time to molt after plumping than one that plumps slowly over a greater period of time. Pre molt for a sling can last a few days, or many months (for the same species).

This is a hungry species, if it needed food, you would see it out hunting.

Dimator

Arachnopeon
How long pre molt lasts is dependent on how much food was previously given....since you dont know how much or how quickly is was fed before you got it, we can only guess....but ts plumped fast, will need significantly more time to molt after plumping than one that plumps slowly over a greater period of time. Pre molt for a sling can last a few days, or many months (for the same species).

This is a hungry species, if it needed food, you would see it out hunting.
Thanks!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Mine never refused food unless she was in premolt. My guess is that yours is still adjusting or is in premolt. Even for small slings, premolt can take a few weeks depending on the individual. I wouldn't be worried.