Hates the term aggressive and deadly!

Spiderdan24

Arachnopeon
No wonder so many people tell me that my tarantulas will kill me if bitten! Never aggresive just defensive, yer scary in a way a guess but how do you think they feel about us (people) poking and handling them!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I guess thats too bad.

By definition, if a tarantula strikes and tries to bite you, thats an aggressive behavior. They have their reasons, and anybody with about 2 braincells would realize that...But if someone does not want to understand...What can we do.

Im just not gonna go ahead and sugarcoat or simply change the name of things just because what unneducated people might think. It is not my problem, but theirs.

Spiderdan24

Arachnopeon
Yer and its a defensive strike not becos it want to bite you! I no people cud argue bwt this term all day but i just hat the bad name this gives ts. Im from england and tarantulas seem to be peoples biggest fear.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well my local pet shop supplier, Portons Aquatics refer to spiders that are "defensive" as "aggie" so the term is even used by pet shops who are warning people about spiders that are "defensive"...

Now this does not give a bad name to the hobby in general, it's like saying dogs are aggressive because wolves and pitbulls can be.

If your scared by an "aggressive" species then go get a docile species.

Thats all i'm gonna say. :?

Spiderdan24

Arachnopeon
I aint fussed bwt DEFENSIVE ts iv got 2 pokies if they bite me they bite me wud b my fault not the ts. A quick question for sum1 iv got a cameroon babboon t are they semi airborial or full blown earth diggers?

Spiderdan24

Arachnopeon
I can see ur point wiv aggressive just seems a bit harsh for such a great creature i still aint useing the term "aggressive"
But thanx for ur comments on my 1st ever post lol

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
The way I see it:
They are defensive, because they don't seek us out to fight/bite us, but only react to our intrusions.
They may use aggressive behaviors to defend themselves (ie. biting).
They are food aggressive, since they will go after prey when they are detected.

Also, I find it very amusing that I can hear your accent in my head as I read your posts. Well done!:D

T o m

Arachnopeon
All 'aggressive' T's are just defending there home :) But my OBT and Cobalt blue can only be described as aggressive my OBT goes into a threat pose if i go within about a foot of her tank, thats pretty aggressive if you ask me....

Spiderdan24

Arachnopeon
Thanx hobo :) i find myself wanting a obt more and more wot kinda temp and humidity do they need seeing as england as sh*t weather lol

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aggressive/defensive has been beaten about in a lot of discussions here, so I'll leave it alone. (Other than to say that I have yet to see an aggressive tarantula, but I've seen a lot of defensive ones.) "Deadly" is an OK term - it simply means something that has the potential of killing. And since tarantulas appear to be unable to kill people, they are not deadly to them.

For the poster above who tried to bring dogs into the discussion - dogs can be aggressive, not because of anything that wolves do, but because there are plenty of cases where free-ranging dogs have chased and attacked people who were in no way seen as a threat to the dog. (If tarantulas did the same thing, I'd consider them aggressive too. But outside of Hollywood that doesn't seem to happen.)

T o m

Arachnopeon
Thanx hobo :) i find myself wanting a obt more and more wot kinda temp and humidity do they need seeing as england as sh*t weather lol
Im in England too :) They are extremely hardy T's and i keep mine with a small water dish and i lightly spray the soil once a week. I personally do not use heat mats i have a heater in my room and i keep it just above room temp at all times...

Last edited:

Spiderdan24

Arachnopeon
Defs the worse place ever to live lmao id neva use a heat mat heard to many Bad stories. I keep the temp about 20c to 25c that shud b gud then yer? All my other ts av dun fine at that :) famx for the reply.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Defs the worse place ever to live lmao id neva use a heat mat heard to many Bad stories. I keep the temp about 20c to 25c that shud b gud then yer? All my other ts av dun fine at that :) famx for the reply.
I remember when they used to speak English in England. (Or something similar to it.) :(

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I remember when they used to speak English in England. (Or something similar to it.) :(
If you think thats bad, you should see some of my Irish friends typing skills. It's like they dropped their keyboard and just went "ehhh that'll work" and clicked send.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you think thats bad, you should see some of my Irish friends typing skills. It's like they dropped their keyboard and just went "ehhh that'll work" and clicked send.
Unfortunately, there are many Americans who could compete well with your Irish friends. It's just a sad time for us old guys who grew up with a reverence for literacy.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aggressive/defensive has been beaten about in a lot of discussions here, so I'll leave it alone. (Other than to say that I have yet to see an aggressive tarantula, but I've seen a lot of defensive ones.) "Deadly" is an OK term - it simply means something that has the potential of killing. And since tarantulas appear to be unable to kill people, they are not deadly to them.

For the poster above who tried to bring dogs into the discussion - dogs can be aggressive, not because of anything that wolves do, but because there are plenty of cases where free-ranging dogs have chased and attacked people who were in no way seen as a threat to the dog. (If tarantulas did the same thing, I'd consider them aggressive too. But outside of Hollywood that doesn't seem to happen.)
I think you missed my point completely mate, what I was trying to say was making a comparison that wolves and dogs are like aggressive and docile T's, i.e you got your Baboon Spiders (wolves) and your new world T's such as (The curly hair) don't blow it out of context I was just making a comparison of temperments with dogs and wolves.

My mates dog was defensive and yet got put down for being aggressive.

He was tame as could be but when another dog came near my mates house, his dog killed it.
They were required to put him down when he was just defending his territory, If thats not a better term for being aggressive defensive then I don't know what is.

My Chilean Rose is a large 7'' and she is as tame as can be, but if I started prodding the floor with my forceps she moves towards it then faux-bites by tapping her legs against it hard, and sometimes raising up.
That is my definition of being defensive, being apprehensive to bite (i.e again like a person standing up for themselves but not hitting the antagonist) but standing up for it's home.

Lets take this in a different context, lets say you know a person who gets wound up.. well you piss him off just by making a narky comment and he assaults you, is that him being defensive? or aggressive?

By the way i'm a young adult from Ye old England and I like to think that my written and literary skills are quite good :p..

Last edited:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
By the way i'm a young adult from Ye old England and I like to think that my written and literary skills are quite good :p..
You were not the target of (or inspiration for) my comments on declining literacy. It's nice to know that there are still people out there communicating coherently. ;)

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You were not the target of (or inspiration for) my comments on declining literacy. It's nice to know that there are still people out there communicating coherently. ;)
Haha,
I gathered that.. was just representing those of us still left who can! ;P