Hatching millipede pics! (First ever pics online!?!?)

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
Hi guys! I just thought I would show you what newborn—er...newly-hatched millipedes look like when they first hatch from their egg! I have never seen any pictures of them online before except when they were miniature white millipedes but still looked like millipedes. I have NEVER seen pics of them when they are in their C-shaped form before they have their first molt and get their legs so if there are any pictures of others having them at their very first stage of life ...then I appogize! However, I have sesrched meticulously and have NEVER seen a first picture of a C-shaped millipede hatching fresh out of the egg that hasn’t had it’s first molt yet! For those that don’t know when millipedes first hatch they are a weird little C-shape when they hatch from the egg, then they later have their first moult and gain a few pairs of legs and look like an actual minister millipede! I googled and looked all over the net (because I wanted to see for myself before mine hatched so I knew what to expect) but I could never find a single picture therefore I thought you guys might enjoy seeing some pictures of what the babies look like! I apologize for the camera quality unfortunately my phone has extreme difficulty trying to capture something so incredibly small but I think they are decent enough for you to get a good idea!

All the millipede young had been dug up by the adults (I literally watched them doing it) so I decided to take the opportunity and take some pictures before I carefully reburied them safely underground!

This is VERY exciting. I am not sure if these are my Spirostreptidae Sp.8 or if they’re my Cameroon Matte blacks so I guess we’ll have to wait and see!

Attachments

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Babies are very fragile. Make sure to remove any fibers from the substrate, that can kill them...
Good luck!

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Great pictures, I can’t speak on behalf of the hobby but I haven’t seen anything like that before. Well done!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Hi guys! I just thought I would show you what newborn—er...newly-hatched millipedes look like when they first hatch from their egg! I have never seen any pictures of them online before except when they were miniature white millipedes but still looked like millipedes. I have NEVER seen pics of them when they are in their C-shaped form before they have their first molt and get their legs so if there are any pictures of others having them at their very first stage of life ...then I appogize! However, I have sesrched meticulously and have NEVER seen a first picture of a C-shaped millipede hatching fresh out of the egg that hasn’t had it’s first molt yet! For those that don’t know when millipedes first hatch they are a weird little C-shape when they hatch from the egg, then they later have their first moult and gain a few pairs of legs and look like an actual minister millipede! I googled and looked all over the net (because I wanted to see for myself before mine hatched so I knew what to expect) but I could never find a single picture therefore I thought you guys might enjoy seeing some pictures of what the babies look like! I apologize for the camera quality unfortunately my phone has extreme difficulty trying to capture something so incredibly small but I think they are decent enough for you to get a good idea!

All the millipede young had been dug up by the adults (I literally watched them doing it) so I decided to take the opportunity and take some pictures before I carefully reburied them safely underground!

This is VERY exciting. I am not sure if these are my Spirostreptidae Sp.8 or if they’re my Cameroon Matte blacks so I guess we’ll have to wait and see!
I'm guessing you don't have a copy of Millipeds in Captivity https://www.amazon.com/Millipeds-Captivity-Diplopodan-Husbandry-Reproductive/dp/1616461438

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Wow this is really cool! I’ve never seen them freshly hatched as well! Now I know thanks!

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
Babies are very fragile. Make sure to remove any fibers from the substrate, that can kill them...
Good luck!
I was very careful when I buried them and didn’t leave anything heavy around them that would hurt them, don’t worry!

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
No I do not have any of the books. Do the books have pictures of them fresh out of the egg too? I was meaning to get the Millipede book by Orin Mcmonigle. As far as online goes, there isn’t a single picture of millipede hatchlings that I’ve ever found before...so while it may be in some books I’ve never seen any pictures online so I figured I would share with everyone! 😊

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
Wow this is really cool! I’ve never seen them freshly hatched as well! Now I know thanks!
You’re welcome! I had searched like crazy for what the hatching babies looked like after I discovered my female millipedes running around laying eggs EVERYWHERE so I wanted to see what the babies looked like but I couldn’t find any pictures of hatching millipedes I only found the ones where they were freshly molted and actually looked like a millipede whereas my hatching babies look like some weird sort of alien beans haha! There is quite a few eggs that were laid and I know this because I had to bury them quite often since the tunnelling adults often trekked them up to the surface. So when I buried them again I placed lots of leaf litter over top the soil to protect them from drying out and from tunnelling millipedes. It seemed to work well.

I’ll be taking more pictures when they have their first molt!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You’re welcome! I had searched like crazy for what the hatching babies looked like after I discovered my female millipedes running around laying eggs EVERYWHERE so I wanted to see what the babies looked like but I couldn’t find any pictures of hatching millipedes I only found the ones where they were freshly molted and actually looked like a millipede whereas my hatching babies look like some weird sort of alien beans haha! There is quite a few eggs that were laid and I know this because I had to bury them quite often since the tunnelling adults often trekked them up to the surface. So when I buried them again I placed lots of leaf litter over top the soil to protect them from drying out and from tunnelling millipedes. It seemed to work well.

I’ll be taking more pictures when they have their first molt!
Glad it worked well and we were able to see the hatchlings! Look forward to seeing those pictures when they have their first molt!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Not the first images of millipede protonymphs (see here [scroll down a bit] and here [Photobucket ruined the images however]), besides the aforementioned photos in the aforementioned book, ha ha. I'm sure there are more on European forums and such and I can't find them because protonymph doesn't translate well.

Very cool nonetheless! It's important to document this for the future as well of course.

No I do not have any of the books. Do the books have pictures of them fresh out of the egg too? I was meaning to get the Millipede book by Orin Mcmonigle. As far as online goes, there isn’t a single picture of millipede hatchlings that I’ve ever found before...so while it may be in some books I’ve never seen any pictures online so I figured I would share with everyone! 😊
@Elytra and Antenna wrote the book...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
Not the first images of millipede protonymphs (see here [scroll down a bit] and here [Photobucket ruined the images however]), besides the aforementioned photos in the aforementioned book, ha ha. I'm sure there are more on European forums and such and I can't find them because protonymph doesn't translate well.

Very cool nonetheless! It's important to document this for the future as well of course.

@Elytra and Antenna wrote the book...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Oh wow! Thank you for sharing! I had never seen that site before. I didn’t know other pics existed. That’s why when I put first ever pics Online? I put a question mark After and mentioned that I take it back if there are other pics online incase I was wrong which I was haha. I should change it to “first of very FEW pics online!” Which is true since there’s hardly any! When you do a google search of millipede babies of hatchling or larvae literally nothing comes up except for the first stage molted millipedes and when I had discovered eggs I was dying to see what they looked like as I heard that they are C-shaped. Just couldn’t find anything myself nothing ever popped up so I figured I would share all the same. can’t wait til they have their first molt! It’s so exciting my dream of successfully hatching millipedes has come true!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

This is very cool. Congratulations!