Has anyone used "humidity beads"

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried using humidity beads for Ts requiring higher humidity. They are the same beads that are used in cigar humidors. They are like silica beads that you put in a separate small container and spray with water. They supposedly maintain a humidity in the container of
65-70 for several weeks! They turn color when they dry out and you just re-wet them. They are indefinitely reusable. I know most of you will say it's a waste when misting should be enough, but I know for my A. avic I have trouble maintaining anything over 60. Just thought this might be another option. A big bag is fairly cheap and could be used for several enclosures. There is a video on how to use them at www.cheaphumidors.com.
Just click on "humidifiers" in left column and then "humidity beads" from items.

Last edited:

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think thats the same thing I give my roaches. Mine don't turn colors or anything though. I have thought about, how mabey you could put a couple containers of them in, especially for an arboreal where they don't need access to alot of substrate. I also have thought about how cool it would look to have the water gel things as the substrate all together, but that would probably be a bad idea:rolleyes:lol.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ya, I don't think you'd want them exposed, although I don't think it would be much different than vermiculite that you mix with the substrate. The silica beads must be ok cause they use them to humidify cigars and it's safe for the tobacco so I assume it's pretty safe. I might try some and see. cause I know some arboreals require even higher humidity. I saw some other site that had bags for about $5. And then there's always Ebay...my other favorite pastime when I need to find something....lol

Last edited: