has anyone seen this?..doesn't seem real bright.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I catch and release. Any sizable spider we notice running/ walking around, I deli-cup it and release it outside. I catch big wolf spiders pretty regularly here in NY.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
O M G

First - that's a big OBT... Second - either she's the world's best T. handler or there was tequila involved... I'm suffering with terminal goosebumps and need to change my drawers. I'd rather kiss a republican than have to watch that vid again! Holy Wah! I'm morbidly impressed and sure that my nightmares will be colorful this evening... Our communal OBT tank sits next to the bed...:eek:

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the reason I wasnt impressd is because I have free handled rattlesnakes, mangroves, copperheads,temple vipers, purpureomaculatus, and a spectacled cobra..and various other hot snakes which will actually kill you dead.
a spider is nothing in comparison:p

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
First - that's a big OBT... Second - either she's the world's best T. handler or there was tequila involved... I'm suffering with terminal goosebumps and need to change my drawers. I'd rather kiss a republican than have to watch that vid again! Holy Wah! I'm morbidly impressed and sure that my nightmares will be colorful this evening... Our communal OBT tank sits next to the bed...:eek:
the slappy thing is farther than i go... but having the spider running around her wasn't that far outside of a normal week for me

i just had a mature male regalis running all over me yesterday. as long as you stay calm it isn't *that* big of a deal... though when it was on the small of my back and i couldn't see it no matter how i craned my neck it was a little ticklish =P

if anything, i would have taken that vid as a reassurance that maybe the obts next to your bed aren't *that* bad. i have played with them a number of times, including up to a penultimate male with no problem. of course, sometimes you really need to know when to leave them alone... but i'm sure the handler in the vid is well aware of that (or will learn it soon enough at the pointy end of a set of fangs =P )

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In loose reference to caco's post; freehandling CAN change your life. I bought my first T. (Gladys, the G. rosea) because I was tired of being terrified of spiders in general. I owned mastiffs, pitbulls, a cranky husband and human children - so why be afraid of bugs, right?? :8o After Gladys (who turned out to be a boy..hehe) was so kind and gentle to me; I bought an A. avic and an A. seemani... when THEY were kind and patient - we were invited by the local elementary school to share them with a class of autistic children. The rule was no T. can be held unless EVERYone was still and quiet...sshhhhh. Anyone who knows anything about autism knows that this is nearly an impossible feat for these kids.. before it was over - the other teachers and even the principle came down to peek into the room and not ONE adult left with dry eyes.. every child held the T's while sitting cross legged, quiet as church mice and in direct contact with one another. My phobia is defeated. Other people saw T's in a whole new light... and children were allowed to make progress that they couldn't have made any other way. They were so into the T's that they forgot they didn't want to be touched and their attention spans were miraculous... Hooray for Nature! :worship:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In loose reference to caco's post; freehandling CAN change your life. I bought my first T. (Gladys, the G. rosea) because I was tired of being terrified of spiders in general. I owned mastiffs, pitbulls, a cranky husband and human children - so why be afraid of bugs, right?? :8o After Gladys (who turned out to be a boy..hehe) was so kind and gentle to me; I bought an A. avic and an A. seemani... when THEY were kind and patient - we were invited by the local elementary school to share them with a class of autistic children. The rule was no T. can be held unless EVERYone was still and quiet...sshhhhh. Anyone who knows anything about autism knows that this is nearly an impossible feat for these kids.. before it was over - the other teachers and even the principle came down to peek into the room and not ONE adult left with dry eyes.. every child held the T's while sitting cross legged, quiet as church mice and in direct contact with one another. My phobia is defeated. Other people saw T's in a whole new light... and children were allowed to make progress that they couldn't have made any other way. They were so into the T's that they forgot they didn't want to be touched and their attention spans were miraculous... Hooray for Nature! :worship:
very nice!

i have read other posts about autistic children and tarantulas. i think maybe becca81 posted it? you might be interested in reading it. if you can't find it i will suss it out, if you would like

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes please! :clap: I have a healthy respect for the other T's that I now own, that seem quite happy to poke holes in me - but I don't sweat or have a "hammer-heart" anymore when caring for them..wheee! Gladys is still with us and still my favorite buddy..and we ALWAYS catch and release what we find in our home. Once upon a time, I would have simply moved out if I'd found an eggsac of anything in the garage corner...lolol Knowlege is power. (and calming, too!) ;)
p.s. ty for the pede info earlier..

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Heck! I don't have dry eyes now... that is amazing! I wish more educators would open their minds to Nature in their classrooms. When I taught, my classroom was a Zoo... between the children and all of our critters... yep, it was a ZOO! {D

cacoseraph... thanks for making me see this video in a different light. I still think there should be some disclaimer for the kids, but if she knows what she's doing.. that makes it a whole different scenario.

Last edited:

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here! Here! :clap:
I think cacoseraph is too smart for everyone else's good.... I believe he's a subversive and sneaky educator....:rolleyes:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here! Here! :clap:
I think cacoseraph is too smart for everyone else's good.... I believe he's a subversive and sneaky educator....:rolleyes:
ouch, you just made me giggle and laugh at the same time and it hurt. sort of like a snart

i have *definitely* been told i am too smart for *my own* good... by LOTS of people, if you can believe that!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the reason I wasnt impressd is because I have free handled rattlesnakes, mangroves, copperheads,temple vipers, purpureomaculatus, and a spectacled cobra..and various other hot snakes which will actually kill you dead.
a spider is nothing in comparison:p
ok... i have to say it

you are calling someone stupid, essentially, for playing with a non-lethal spider that is not very likely at all to cause permanent damage (beyond mechanical, but that is a special case)... and now you are essentially bragging about free handling stuff that take chunks out of you... or legitmately pose a death threat...

i'm not going to say much beyond it is, er... inconsistant.

but... since i expect you still have all (or at least the overwhelming majority) of your factory issue body parts hopefully you can see that with experience and enhanced knowledge of an animal class and individuals then free handling above and beyond with normals could "get away with" is possible. and fun.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well put. And what a classy "pee-pee whacking" it was... I've owned great basin rattlers, mohave rattlers, western diamondbacks, a beautiful yellow puff adder that HATED me and a spectacled cobra. Not only did I have enough grey matter to never attempt to free-handle them, I inherited enough respect from the parental units to realize that it would be detrimental to THEM to even try. Don't we keep these creatures to ENJOY them? :? I thought deliberately angering and stressing out our pets was considered mean?
*just a passing thought.....*

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The gators didn't seem to mind. They actually came up for a pat on the head and sometimes a cuddle in my too small lap...hehehe :razz: That was AFTER dinner, however....

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok... i have to say it

you are calling someone stupid, essentially, for playing with a non-lethal spider that is not very likely at all to cause permanent damage (beyond mechanical, but that is a special case)... and now you are essentially bragging about free handling stuff that take chunks out of you... or legitmately pose a death threat...

i'm not going to say much beyond it is, er... inconsistant.

but... since i expect you still have all (or at least the overwhelming majority) of your factory issue body parts hopefully you can see that with experience and enhanced knowledge of an animal class and individuals then free handling above and beyond with normals could "get away with" is possible. and fun.
i was speaking more from a tease and stress out the pet, standpoint.
i never teased, poked, prodded, bullyragged, vexxed, annoyed, or irritated m herps...nor have i or would i post vids on the net of me upsetting any animal.
i called her behviour stupid, not her..she could be a rocket scientist, ut the way she was acting with the spider, imho, wa stupid,yes.

no, free handling isnt very bright, i am guilty of that, admittedly.
however, i was working with some leading local herpotologists at the time and learned the methods used by William Hast, and other great snake handlers.
I've never been bitten though, knock on wood.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i was speaking more from a tease and stress out the pet, standpoint.
i never teased, poked, prodded, bullyragged, vexxed, annoyed, or irritated m herps...nor have i or would i post vids on the net of me upsetting any animal.
i called her behviour stupid, not her..she could be a rocket scientist, ut the way she was acting with the spider, imho, wa stupid,yes.

no, free handling isnt very bright, i am guilty of that, admittedly.
however, i was working with some leading local herpotologists at the time and learned the methods used by William Hast, and other great snake handlers.
I've never been bitten though, knock on wood.
well... part of what makes free handling bugs interesting is that their is a real dearth of experts

as far as i know... *i* am one of the leading experts in playing with centipedes! and certainly one of the leading experts in getting bit by them. heh.

anyhow, a lot of people make a lot of noise about "stressing out" the bugs... but they have absolutely no data to back that up.... i will tell you this, though... the first time i free handled my P. regalis it took me 30 solid minutes of poking, prodding, levering, and just plain pestering to get her to walk on me skin... then like, two weeks later she made a viable eggsac that i got offspring from. virtually all of my WC bugs that i have gotten younglings from i played with. virtually all of my bugs i play with at some point... and they all continue to molt and grow and breed when they are mature... so... it seems like good husbandry + playing around with my bugs has yielded more quantifiably positive results than this vague fear of "stressing them out" and random husbandry

also, all my bugs have always lived in a music studio... 100+ db coursing through them pretty much daily... and they are all doing fine

i think a lot of times people parrot partylines (technically partylines is not the right word, but i am a sucker for alliteration) without having every researched or experimented for themselves

i am all for bug healthfulness... but i think we need to honestly and carefully establish exactly what is healthful and what is deletorious before we start psuedo-namecalling

fingers are tired now... it's easier to quasirant irl. heh.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well... part of what makes free handling bugs interesting is that their is a real dearth of experts

as far as i know... *i* am one of the leading experts in playing with centipedes! and certainly one of the leading experts in getting bit by them. heh.

anyhow, a lot of people make a lot of noise about "stressing out" the bugs... but they have absolutely no data to back that up.... i will tell you this, though... the first time i free handled my P. regalis it took me 30 solid minutes of poking, prodding, levering, and just plain pestering to get her to walk on me skin... then like, two weeks later she made a viable eggsac that i got offspring from. virtually all of my WC bugs that i have gotten younglings from i played with. virtually all of my bugs i play with at some point... and they all continue to molt and grow and breed when they are mature... so... it seems like good husbandry + playing around with my bugs has yielded more quantifiably positive results than this vague fear of "stressing them out" and random husbandry

also, all my bugs have always lived in a music studio... 100+ db coursing through them pretty much daily... and they are all doing fine

i think a lot of times people parrot partylines (technically partylines is not the right word, but i am a sucker for alliteration) without having every researched or experimented for themselves

i am all for bug healthfulness... but i think we need to honestly and carefully establish exactly what is healthful and what is deletorious before we start psuedo-namecalling

fingers are tired now... it's easier to quasirant irl. heh.
ok..i can ride with this for now.
I do recommend handling certain ones /things for various reasons..i just thought the manner in which she did it was not real cool.
a very shallow and depth lacking attempt in thread discussion initially on my part..i hadnt put lots of thought into it prior to posting.
top of the day to you!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
t..i hadnt put lots of thought into it prior to posting.
top of the day to you!
i'm pretty sure i only think before i make about 5% of my posts

the mods and others can attest to this

have a happy bug day