has anyone seen this?..doesn't seem real bright.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sadly, some inexperienced kid will see that and there's "your accident bound to happen" :embarrassed:

Too bad there isn't more regulation on cruelty to Exotics :evil:

tnt tomas

Arachnopeon
Another one

Check this H.maculata clip out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YSBgETQn18
These guys are insane. No considration for the spider at all.
One guy say's "settle yourself down" whilst he's poking it with tweezers.
Its like the odd parents who beat their kids round the head and shout "stop crying!".
Some people (through the power of ignorance) seriously want to be bitten.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Check this H.maculata clip out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YSBgETQn18
These guys are insane. No considration for the spider at all.
One guy say's "settle yourself down" whilst he's poking it with tweezers.
Its like the odd parents who beat their kids round the head and shout "stop crying!".
Some people (through the power of ignorance) seriously want to be bitten.
pretty sad.
why own one if you're just going to abuse it?

i cant post my actual opinion here..:evil: , but these guys need to get poked with a stick like that.

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sadly, some inexperienced kid will see that and there's "your accident bound to happen" :embarrassed:

Too bad there isn't more regulation on cruelty to Exotics :evil:
How is this cruel in any way shape or form? On top of that, animal cruelty does not apply to spiders. Anyways, what makes an exotic any more morally significant than your "garden variety" critter?

I doubt it lost its fangs, someone doesn't have to be deficient to do something risky. I'm a beekeeper. Sometimes I work my hives without any protection. That is FAR riskier than letting a non-lethal spider run around on a sweater.

Also, if you had used the search function you would have seen that this video has been posted before ;P [just playin]

Don't get me wrong though, the guy in the second video seems a bit dense.

Last edited:

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is referring to the second vid:

Here's where I play the devils advocate:

Its not like he's killing it by holding it and getting it mad(except stressing it out) I don't see why you are so angry, the spider is alive, the guy wasn't bitten because he knows what he's doing, he was just pissing it off for the camera. The abdomen probably wouldn't have ruptured because it was on carpet and the guy was sitting. The fact that you would never do this is your opinion but there are worse things than handling a aggessive spider.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was kind of impressed by her handling actually. I realise that it's politically incorrect to say that, but still. I sure as hell wouldn't do/dare such an act, but that chick did. Balls. My experience of chicks and spiders are..

"what is th...."

"eeeeeekkkk"

*flees in terror*

..and that is from me surfing these boards at work, accidently displaying a beautiful pic etc.

She's clearly familiar with this particular specimen, and has probably lots of handling experience with other taratulas too.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL and some call me nuts that should be banned or how long before a kid gets bit :wall: :wall: :mad: :mad: ---- PHIL

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that's probably just one of pandora's friends. they are all pretty masterly handlers. a lot better than me.

to save myself some trouble... go ahead and search for posts from me with "pandora" in them

short answer: they know more about handling than probably any ten other people in this thread put together. so watch and learn ;)

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There has already been a huge thread on the togo video which ended up being blocked by the editer, so I won't put the link up here. But search and you will find.

B

babylon5girl

I agree that they are both a bit dumb for doing what they did, that girl though was pretty impressive and seemed like she knew what she was doing.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really enjoy watching handling videos. It’s nice to see how the T's react outside of the 4 walls of their enclosures. Both videos in this thread are clearly made by people that know what they are doing and most importantly are calm in doing so.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But Caco...is that the point???
well, it is hard to say what another person's point is... so for me to pretend would be somewhat silly

but when *i* free handle, especially the "nono" species i have several points.

first off, i love it.... i think people who don't free handle anything are missing out a very fun aspect of the hobby. i'm not saying everyone should run out and start playing with their obts or anything... but finding a nice calm spider and letting it walk across their hand could open up whole new horizons for them :)

secondly... if you haven't noticed, it is quite likely that the majority of the public is either neutral to quite strongly negatively inclined towards our pets. it is my belief that there are many underlying causes, with each erm, unbug person having their own personal mix. barring bad experiences etc, it seems to me that a fair amount of the anxiety people feel comes from misperceptions about our pets. a huge misperception, even amongsts HOBBIESTS, is that a lot of spiders and tarantulas specifically are malicious and out to get them. so... when someone sees me... or a pretty lady playing with a spider... perhaps they will think a little harder about whether or not spiders and bugs *really* are out to get them. education and demonstration are the two greatest weapons in my arsenal against the unbug sentiments :)

third... there is this fairly insane notion that for bugs to "be happy" (lol, anthropomorphosize a little more why don'tcha) they have to be left alone. i am here to tell you, flat out, the ONLY objective way of determining whether a captive critter is doing well is if it eats, grows (molts), and breeds succesfully. anything else is projecting of a most potentially disasterous sort. so.... let us talk about reproductive success.... i have produced younglings by virtue of CBB or CH from something like.... 12-15 species... fully CBB'ed something like 5-7 species. and you know what? ALL my CBB mammas are hand pets.... ALL of them! some of my animals i have played with ONE OR TWO DAYS BEFORE THEY DROPED YOUNG OR EGGS OR WHATEVER. so... someone was saying something funny about stressing something out? oh, and just so you don't go and think that i have failed at scores of other species... to my knowledge i have never failed in breeding tarantulas or getting young from CH sacs... i have never failed in breeding scorpions, nor have i had a full brood lost to infantiphagy... i *have* had mamma centipedes eat eggs... but there is no way to know if they were slugs or not... i have never had a mamma centipede eat eggs that have started to develop.

in point of fact, it is well documented that a completely stress and stimulus free environment is disasterous for many, if not most, if not all of the higher animals... it is totally conceivable that such is the case here, too

so... what is the point of the girlady playing with her spider? i dunno. contact pandora, who is on these boards... and ask P to ask her friend ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She's clearly familiar with this particular specimen, and has probably lots of handling experience with other taratulas too.
this is an excellent point that i definitely support as a decently experienced free handler of many different orders of inverts. some individuals are much more tractible than some mythical "average instantion of the species class".

for bugs with a serious hurt in their venom i almost always get to know the individuals before i hold them. even then... if i am free handle testing a usually ~docile individual, but they seem to be more dramatically reactive than normal i usually take a pass for playtime that day

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
personally i didnt see her actions as impressive or brave..just merely stupid.
i could do the same thing if i was into teasing and p****g off my inverts.:?
difference of opinions is good..thats why we're in this thread.

just my opinion, folks..dont jump my ****.:)

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bet if you found a wasp in your bedroom or a 3+ inch wolf spider, you'd slap that sucker dead! I doubt that the vast majority would do a catch and release. And one man's weed may be another man's flower. To each his own. But I don't "play" with my Ts and I have a certain degree of repect for them. These vids have been dragged thru the threads at Arachnoboards, and I threatened the auther of the H. maculata vid (for a different vid he did, and yes, he's a member of this site), that I was going to turn him in. He PMd me and man was he pissed!

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bet if you found a wasp in your bedroom or a 3+ inch wolf spider, you'd slap that sucker dead! I doubt that the vast majority would do a catch and release. And one man's weed may be another man's flower. To each his own. But I don't "play" with my Ts and I have a certain degree of repect for them. These vids have been dragged thru the threads at Arachnoboards, and I threatened the auther of the H. maculata vid (for a different vid he did, and yes, he's a member of this site), that I was going to turn him in. He PMd me and man was he pissed!
not me..i dont kkiill any insects except mosquitos and fire ants.

what did you turn him in for?