Has anyone ever tried this?

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
I'm wondering. Has anyone ever taken a piece of rotten tree bark and just put it in a big glass container overnight or shaken it out over a white piece of paper or in a big container to see what lives in there?

Creepy Crawling Guy

Arachnopeon
idk if this count but when i was taking care of a python with a really big tank i thought that putting a big chunk og coconut tree in his enclosure about a 1.5m in length and 40cm diameter not more than 24 hour thing live in there crawl out some rhino beetles and larvae,leeches ,and idk the exact name but looks like a leech but slimy as a worm about a meter long and some ants basically i took the trunk and start a cleaning

the tree was cut down 3days prior after putting it inside the tank i think the change in surroundings made them go out of the trunk

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Yes, but I didn't use glass. I used large Ziploc bags over white rotting wood and some longhorn beetles came out! This was over a period of 2 months.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
This actually reminded me of One of the professors at my university who actually does something similar for his biodiversity research. He puts logs from different sections of the state in large drums for long periods of time, with an attractant at one end(can't recall exactly what it is but I believe it's longhorn specific) to catalog how many of what species are present, as they all gather to that end as they emerge.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've done it many times. Amazing how many organisms occupy a micro environment.