Has anyone ever killed one of your tarantulas?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Has any other person ever caused the death of one of your Ts? Either by badly taking care of them or actually killing them by hurting them. My condolences if this has ever happened btw.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I had a DOA (burst abdomen) on a 1/8" P. sazimai sling. It seemed to be packed well, and the other sling in the same box was fine. I didn't kill it, so someone in the shipping chain must have either been very rough with the box or subjected it to rapid pressure changes in the cargo bay of the plane.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have only lost one tarantula. Wild caught stirmi with nematodes. I put him in the freezer to put him to sleep about a month after I purchased

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I had a DOA (burst abdomen) on a 1/8" P. sazimai sling. It seemed to be packed well, and the other sling in the same box was fine. I didn't kill it, so someone in the shipping chain must have either been very rough with the box or subjected it to rapid pressure changes in the cargo bay of the plane.
Aw :( that sucks

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I learned a hard lesson about heaters and humidity this past winter. Right before winter started, I got quite a few slings. I also got a radiator heater for the T room - in years previous, I always just used centralized heating. I severely underestimated just how much it was drying out the enclosures. My slings stopped eating for reasons I couldn't figure out. Turns out they weren't eating because they were dehydrated. I lost a few slings before I realized it.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I learned a hard lesson about heaters and humidity this past winter. Right before winter started, I got quite a few slings. I also got a radiator heater for the T room - in years previous, I always just used centralized heating. I severely underestimated just how much it was drying out the enclosures. My slings stopped eating for reasons I couldn't figure out. Turns out they weren't eating because they were dehydrated. I lost a few slings before I realized it.
Are you saying the radiator dried the air out too much or the centralized heating? My house only has two options, centralized or a space heater. I've worried about this as well.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Are you saying the radiator dried the air out too much or the centralized heating? My house only has two options, centralized or a space heater. I've worried about this as well.
The heater is what did it. Honestly, it's very easy to avoid - I just had to water about twice as often as I usually needed to. It just took me too long to realize that.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
The heater is what did it. Honestly, it's very easy to avoid - I just had to water about twice as often as I usually needed to. It just took me too long to realize that.
Ah yes. I hate winter so much. The air is dry as heck on its own on top of being cold. It can be a slippery slope if regular moistening isn't remembered.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I had issues in the winter when I first started out back in 2004, but once I figure out the balance of winter, humidity and temperature I haven't lost a T since.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Had two Hapalopus sp. Columbia large slings die in my care. The slings were super small, probably smaller than a dime. They ate fine, molted, then burrowed. About a month after they were dead.

Yulian

Arachnopeon
There was this one cyrtopholis portoricae I caught when I was a kid and kept it for some time before my grandad found out and took the enclosure, shook it out and then proceeded to step on it multiple times because "arañas peluas"(hairy spiders) were "dangerous". People are usually very ignorant of anything they dont understand and often choose to not understand or quite frankly dont care.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
There was this one cyrtopholis portoricae I caught when I was a kid and kept it for some time before my grandad found out and took the enclosure, shook it out and then proceeded to step on it multiple times because "arañas peluas"(hairy spiders) were "dangerous". People are usually very ignorant of anything they dont understand and often choose to not understand or quite frankly dont care.
UHHHHHH

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I had a b smithi molt while on its way to me. It didn't make it of course. I fault the seller for going with 2 day shipping instead of the overnight we agreed upon when we agreed on the trade, plus the not telling me it was in premolt.

I still feel bad for that taranula, but on the bright side the seller replaced it with a more valuable T that I absolutely love.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
There was this one cyrtopholis portoricae I caught when I was a kid and kept it for some time before my grandad found out and took the enclosure, shook it out and then proceeded to step on it multiple times
aaaaaaaand that's why I prefer animals to people, for the most part.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
well, not a tarantula, but i used to catch and keep garter snakes from around my house when i was younger. my grandpa came over, found out, and took a shovel to them(3 i think, 2 garters and a fox snake). said they were satanic. :banghead: i was really sad and angry when i found out..:sorry: next time i went to his house i took his prized stuffed fish and threw it in the creek. :)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
...the hell is with psychopathic grandpas and their lack of respect for 1) you 2) living things?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
...the hell is with psychopathic grandpas and their lack of respect for 1) you 2) living things?
hes better now. still never been to my spider room though. seriously though, my whole moms side of the family is extremely ignorant about snakes and spieders alike, drives me crazy.