Has anyone ever had a. 75" sling take over a month to go from premolt to post molt?

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I currently have two P.cambridgi slings. Both are around .75" after this last molt. Well one molted and was back out within days. The other however, sealed itself up in its cork bark and didn't emerge. As it had been just under a month, I decided to do a wellness check. When I opened the enclosure, I expected to find a dead sling. Much to my surprise I saw four legs sticking out of a burrow on the other side of the cork bark. Well I watered it and provided a nice big pre-killed waxworm.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
And before you say the enclosure is too big, here's a photo. IMAG0128.jpg

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I have a suspected 1" possibly larger P. Cam that dug a hole behind her driftwood hide and never comes out, I've only had her for a week or two and I've only seen her out once briefly. I know she came out when I'm not around though as there's some tiny webbing around the enclosure. However mines been eating regularly, ill occasionally see some legs poking out or I'll toss a cricket in and in the blink of an eye it'll be gone. Mine seems so intelligent it's unreal. Love em!

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question but I've found very little info on P. Cam behavior surprisingly and I'm more intrigued by them than ever before.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Oh yea that's pretty typical... I just had a C.versicolor about that size refuse food for almost a month and a half.. She molted some time last night..

My little sazamai slings refuse food for what seems like forever before they molt and they are just about an inch..

What's ironic is how some species or individuals will eat right up to the day they molt.. Just about every pokie sling I have ever had has reflected that behavior.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I have a suspected 1" possibly larger P. Cam that dug a hole behind her driftwood hide and never comes out, I've only had her for a week or two and I've only seen her out once briefly. I know she came out when I'm not around though as there's some tiny webbing around the enclosure. However mines been eating regularly, ill occasionally see some legs poking out or I'll toss a cricket in and in the blink of an eye it'll be gone. Mine seems so intelligent it's unreal. Love em!

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question but I've found very little info on P. Cam behavior surprisingly and I'm more intrigued by them than ever before.
No need to be sorry. They can be a bit reclusive when they're young. One of mine stays out in the open. The other I just saw again. I mean there were no changes until today. I checked at about 3:15 am before I left for work and just did the wellness check. Other than that there had been no activity for weeks.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

I could help you with some info but @cold blood loooves to talk about P.cam's.. :kiss:

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Oh yea that's pretty typical... I just had a C.versicolor about that size refuse food for almost a month and a half.. She molted some time last night..

My little sazamai slings refuse food for what seems like forever before they molt and they are just about an inch..

What's ironic is how some species or individuals will eat right up to the day they molt.. Just about every pokie sling I have ever had has reflected that behavior.
Same. I've had H.mac, L.parahybana, and and P.Ornata slings eat and molt within the same 24 hour period. I have a P.miranda sling right now. Last time I saw it, it was just under an inch. I never see it, but I know it's alive because it's web tunnels behind the cork keep getting bigger and staying well maintained. Also, waxworms just seem to disappear as soon as I turn my head.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Same. I've had H.mac, L.parahybana, and and P.Ornata slings eat and molt within the same 24 hour period.
I keep a LP just so I have something to feed any excess food from spiders that are in in premolt.. I've often played with the idea of naming her trash can.. I've noticed that with my H.mac also.. Allways has an appetite never really has a off feed pre-molt period..

cold blood

Staff member
It happens...its not conmon with cams, but it happens. Last year my female produced a sac....one single specimen decided to hide away for nearly 3 months...i noticed, but never checked...when it finally emerged it was laughably smaller than its siblings, but it did resume acting like a cam once it emerged.

I will say that i would never keep a cam in a vial...they need room, even as slings. I would suggest moving them to a 32oz deli cup asap.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I just found it unusual because this is the first Cambridgi sling I've had to do this. My other psalmopoeus slings never missed a meal
My irminia's will block off the entrance to there burrow when in pre-molt and sometimes stay sealed in for a few weeks.. Nothing too crazy though..

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
It happens...its not conmon with cams, but it happens. Last year my female produced a sac....one single specimen decided to hide away for nearly 3 months...i noticed, but never checked...when it finally emerged it was laughably smaller than its siblings, but it did resume acting like a cam once it emerged.

I will say that i would never keep a cam in a vial...they need room, even as slings. I would suggest moving them to a 32oz deli cup asap.
I normally move them when they hit between .75 and 1". I've generally kept various psalmopoeus in vials until then without problems. Once they get to a 32, they're good for quite the while

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I start most arboreals in 16oz delis and then when they hit about an inch I switch them to 32oz. They really do seem to use alot of the space..

cold blood

Staff member
i put all 128 2i slings right in a 32oz deli cup. Trust me, a t with this speed and hunting ability have no issues with extra room....i keep them in the delis till just over 3".

cold blood

Staff member
I start most arboreals in 16oz delis and then when they hit about an inch I switch them to 32oz. They really do seem to use alot of the space..
thats what i do for avics...but if its not avic related i see the 32 as a better option. JMO

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
i put all 128 2i slings right in a 32oz deli cup. Trust me, a t with this speed and hunting ability have no issues with extra room....i keep them in the delis till just over 3".
I know they won't, especially since I tend to put their food in their general vicinity. Most of my arboreal just get comfortable in one spot anyway