Has anyone ever been scammed ??

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I look through some tarantulas advertised for sale on an online newspaper ... and reply to one asking : How do you know they are female ? What size are they, and what price ?

And this is the reply :
"Hi. Yes, I still have female Curlies. I've looked at their last molt where there is a lack of a uterus. How many do you want? I can post to you if you pay the delivery cost"

:wall:

So I reply, asking for a photograph of said Tarantula ...

And this is the reply :
"Attached find the photo as requested. Just a correction on my previous e-mail, it's not the lack of the uterus, it's the presence of the uterus after the molt"

Oh dear ...

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd request a macro shot of the area of importance on the molt. Are you willing to accept the chance this could be a male? Is the cost worth it to you should this specimen prove to be male? These are the questions you need to answer for yourself. Brachypelma albopilosum are not expensive with most dealers even for a guarantee female if you aren't ready to risk it.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
black eye to the hobby

il go ahead and say it i was one of the alex080 victims he sent me a c.crawshayi with mites and mold all over it barley alive and he said its how they look colse to a molt and it was my first ever online buying experince but luckly we got him out so now i only really mess with online people with great reviews

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Once early on, paid for a female and got a nice set of hooks two molts later.

No sweat, it doesn't take long for folks to get OUTED as bad folks and its real easy to spot the good and honorable hobbyists.

PIG-

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive been had once.. Since then I only deal with certain members.. Be it buying/selling/trading... Always look for a review..

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never dealt with small breeders/sellers. Just the major guys. I learned quickly to be skeptical of unknown breeders through the reptile part of my hobby.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
il go ahead and say it i was one of the alex080 victims he sent me a c.crawshayi with mites and mold all over it barley alive and he said its how they look colse to a molt and it was my first ever online buying experince but luckly we got him out so now i only really mess with online people with great reviews
I was one of alex080 cheats as well. I had a situation with someone in the last few months and because of my experience with Alex, I reacted stronger then I should have I think. BUT I am exceptionally cautious and deal only with people I know or people I trust know.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
A lady with her husband came and bought T's from me,
they drove a very fancy car, they wrote id numbers
on the back of this cheque, the adress of the 'pet shop'
teliphone numbers etc...
Turned out all of the above were fake! the cheque itself is even fake.
Their names they gave me were not even their names, and
found out that sevaral people in the exotics pet trade had been scamed by them!
The cheque is about 900$

Attachments

chebe2

Arachnopeon
Almost!!

When I first started getting into the hobby before I had any T's, ran across pics of P. metallica and had to have it. After searching around I found a guy that said he would sell me a female for $150$ at the time I thought that was still pricey, not knowing anything about T prices, He wanted to western union the money wich I did. When I got home I was looking for pics of metallica when I first saw Arachnoboards, where I read about cameroon T scams:evil:. Luckily when I called to stop the transfer he had yet to pick it up and I got my money back!! All I can say is thank you AB:clap:

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I was one of alex080 cheats as well. I had a situation with someone in the last few months and because of my experience with Alex, I reacted stronger then I should have I think. BUT I am exceptionally cautious and deal only with people I know or people I trust know.
yes i only deal with the large guys paulpetcenter,kennbugguy, i would deal with robc and tommy but they have pages of reviews so ya know:p

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was had by a member that went by "arborealT's" or something like that.

I was supposed to get a "guaranteed female P. ornata" and well, lets just say, I knew it was male as soon as I opened the box.

I contacted the person and come to find out was another member on here ripping people off of their money, but under a different username.

needless to say we caught on very quick due to the same adress as the guy who ripped people off before.

Other than that, no. but we all take chances. and it wasnt to big of a loss for me. I know he got other members pretty bad though.