Has anyone else had a problem with domestic pest roaches infiltrating your pet roach habitats?

JustSatanThings

Arachnopeon
I keep lots of madagascar hissers, peppered roaches, dominos, and a couple of feeder species. This hasn't been too much of a problem before but lately I've been finding German roaches hanging out in the enclosures. I'm not surprised that they find them appealing places to hang out, I guess...but I definitely don't want them in there! One of them even somehow laid an egg in the red runner box and it was a pain in the butt separating all the babies. Any advice on this? Maybe more roach bait around the shelves where the pet roaches are?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I would highly advise trying to get the German roaches under control in your place. When you see one, that means there are more. I’m sure you’re aware of what they are capable of. I wish you luck my dude.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
German roaches are pests, but they are only in your bins for three reasons:
1. To find a place to hide until dark.
2. For food and water.
3. Gaps or loose areas in your roach bin lid.

I recommend limiting or getting rid of food if they're in your roach colony feeding off from them. And since you said you separated them already, I assume you cleaned the bin as well? If so, I would then limit the food offerings for a while and deal with german roaches around the area. If outside pests/roaches are getting in your bin, it means that your roach colony bin is too loose or there is/are open gaps. I recommend you find a way to deal with that, I use those metal paper binder clips to help enforce the lid so the gaps are closed in more and harder for pests to get in.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Secure the bin from unwanted visitors.
Clean and take steps to prevent them from coming into your home.

All you can really do - I'd be weary with spraying since we don't wanna poison your other inverts.

Do you keep your roach bins ventilated with a drilled lid? open completely? Maybe try using a fine mesh sheet- should keep the german roaches out.

I'm not making any claims about your cleanliness - I've had german roaches in an apartment once and depending on where you live the occasional roach might even be inevitable. Keeping your home free of standing water, food, and even just clutter can really help if your roach problem is small or just starting.
I kept my dry food in my fridge when I had them lol. I really stress the cleaning, like get behind your oven and clean that out too.

no food, no shelter, no reason to stay.

You could try bait. If you don't have dogs/cats - you can mix boric acid and sugar and leave it out somewhere for them. It'll dry them up - they'll get eaten by brethren and then those ones will die too.

Buuut - if that gets in your roach bins it's game over so again, you want to find a way to secure that.
You also don't want them getting into your cages either - obviously can end really bad if they eat a poisoned roach.
Also keep in mind that bait is always kind of iffy... yes itll kill them but your technically feeding them, not giving them a reason to leave.

Last edited:

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
I had that happen once a few months back, I'm cruel so I trapped the little jerk inside a glass jar and let him starve to death. He was threatening the life of my colony after all. I will say though, been trying to keep up with them in the kitchen (where we find them the most) and my knowledge of cockroaches is coming in rather handy as the behavior of most cockroaches is similar enough to be able to trick the little German invasion.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Try to get a better-fitting lid and add mesh to the air holes. If you don't have a lid on any of you colonies (such as dubias) make sure to get one right away