Has anyone else done this before?

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One of my cousins wants me to make a neckless out of all the fangs from my T's( After they molt of course). But Im not sure how to do it... I also dont know if anyone else has done it before... Thanks if you know, and thanks for looking if you dont know.

Hampton

;)

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thought about doing the same thing, but could never figure out the best way to do it...Perhaps you could do a resin cast or something (poly resin is available in most craft stores)....Other than that....good luck, and let me know if you find something that works. :)

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I remember when i was about 5, my grandmother gave me a bear claw( Bear nail) and filled it up with some hard stuff......But im not sure what it was

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We've been saving molts, hoping to be able to do something with those fangs...A one inch fang would make a damn nice (but potentially dangerous) piece of jewelry, eh? ;)

Perhaps you could take a few fangs to a jewelry maker and have them cast in silver. That would be awesome. Probably expensive though.....But worth it :)

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what I would really want , is a usambara molt fang,,,
heh try explaining THAT one.

And I just remembered here in Philadelphia we have a area of the city thats ONLY jewlery makers , right next to the malls its called dimond block.

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice! Let me know if you have any luck with them...Might have to send a couple fangs up there myself...No good silver casters here that I know of...Guess I'll check the yellow pages :) I have a nice pair of P regalis fangs that I might like to wear one of these days :)

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh I have no doubt they will make it into a cast or anything else.
But what im thinking of doing is filling my T. blondi fang with a resin then haveing them drill a small hole for thread or thin necklace wire.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
WOW!
Hey! Let me know when you all figure out how to do it! That would be the coolest damn necklace! Here's an idea; make a necklace with alternating (size-wise) types of fangs, with the fangs towards the front of the necklace. (How about earings?) The rest of the necklace could be made up of Sculpy or Fimo beads.
Btw, what exactly are tarantula fangs composed of? Keratin?
Peace,
Gillian
WAIT! If we made the necklaces a reality, we could sell them, and part of the proceeds could go to the upkeep of this site!

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heh I would just like one T.blondi fang on a thread or a usambara fang on a thread.

But I dont have the microdrills jewlers have.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bob,
A bead on either side (appropriately sized) would keep it centered. Hmmm...I have an old blondi molt, too..
Peace,
Gillian

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Tommy Agosta generally has chelicerae (and attached fangs) silver charms when he's at the shows. Maybe I'll pick one up next time and post a pic. Too bad the next show here isn't till April.... :(

Scott

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dident know tommy had them!
he did however show me how he handled his goliath pinktoe. :D
great.. and I have evening school on march 22..

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
WOW!
Hey! Let me know when you all figure out how to do it! That would be the coolest damn necklace! Here's an idea; make a necklace with alternating (size-wise) types of fangs, with the fangs towards the front of the necklace. (How about earings?) The rest of the necklace could be made up of Sculpy or Fimo beads.
Btw, what exactly are tarantula fangs composed of? Keratin?
Peace,
Gillian
WAIT! If we made the necklaces a reality, we could sell them, and part of the proceeds could go to the upkeep of this site!
How about rings? That would be pretty cool. I remember several years ago there was a company selling silver cast claw rings...I have a pretty big one, actually, that I got from a specialty jeweler in Dallas...I believe it's a lion claw. Selling them would be a good idea, though...Proceeds could go to all sorts of places (the upkeep of this site, the ATS, and....me. lol).

:)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Said rings would be handy in a fight..:D (sorry, carryover from my wilder days..) :D Rings do sound cool, though. Do you know what fangs are composed of?
Peace,
Gillian

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Do you know what fangs are composed of?
Peace,
Gillian
I don't offhand...I'll definitely find out though....I'll let you know what I come up with :)

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Hampton, necklace! Ok. Um, now, arent the molted fangs delecate and hollow and thus not suitable for making into a necklace ? That sounds cool, but it might not work. :(