Has anyone eaten spider silk?

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all!
Today I was just wondering if anybody has already tried eating spider silk! any though? :D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just yesterday I had some spider silk as a midnight snack..... :rolleyes:

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Uhm, i'm not actually sure what to think about this post... No?:confused:

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yep, taste just like chicken... ;P

but seriously, I aware in some parts of the world tarantulas used for food
its barbaric to me, I cant see them in food group, just like my cat is a pet even so for some folks my kitty is juicy dinner
so, if you do try spider silk please come back with some answers
and while you on that end of it, try poop too, so its all covered {D

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I sometimes get web in my mouth when I accidentally walk into webs with my face. Silly spiders, I'm too big for you to eat!

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think maybe with some fresh chives and chopped mushrooms spider silk could be a fantastic appetizer, then a nice side of bolus salad.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been tempted before, but that is something you don't brag about to your friends. If I did do so.

I've also been tempted to grab the webbing from my OBT and put on a stick and present it to someone as cotton candy.

Last edited:

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been tempted before, but that is something you don't brag about to your friends. If I did do so.

I've also been tempted to grab the webbing from my OBT and put on a stick and present it to someone as cotton candy.
Now that is classic, you could even dye it with some food colouring.

Shaka

Arachnopeon
LOL! Honestly, can't say that I have even considered the concept of it. But I am very interested to read your spider silk cuisine review. :D

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Then I think I should be the first to try this! (I am a vegan though :D)

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

best idea ever! hahahahahahaha i think i may try that......and, like Leviticus said, dye it :p

Mez

Arachnoknight
Honestly, its probably used in some tribal cooking somewhere, i imagine they would use it to wrap stuff in though, rather than as an actual food source.

LegsArms

Arachnopeon
I've wondered this too, and tried it. Silk can vary a lot in texture based on the spider and it's weaving methods and web-making habits (eg. cobweb vs. Orb web vs. Egg sac) I've tried both egg sac casing (jumping spider: platycryptus undatus) and cobweb (black widow), neither of which were very palatable nor did they give me any of the spiders powers... but the silk IS made of proteins which are different than keratin but in the same class (Scleroprotein). Spider silk protein is apparently composed of the amino acids Glycine and Alanine (according to one source), so if you wanted a diet high in either of those amino acids then it might be valuable, but you would need a lot to get any value from it. I don't know if human protease enzymes would be able to break this protein apart to access the individual amino acids, but I'd be interested if anyone had insight into this. Amino acids can taste savory, especially when made into salts (like monosodium glutamate) so I imagine that one could develop a fermentation process to unlock these amino acids from the silk protein structure and make them form ionic bonds with sodium or potassium ions to create savory umami flavor compounds in the same class as MSG. (Eg. Monosodium glycate, or monopotassium alanate, or other combinations). If possible, there is a chance that some culture had developed fermentation techniques to develop savory compounds from silk, in the same way soybeans are fermented into soy sauce to create msg, but if so the technique was probably lost to time and destruction of cultures.

LegsArms

Arachnopeon
Anyone have more insight into exactly which amino acids compose spider silk proteins? Is it always alanine and glycine, or does it differ by spider family? Is egg sac casing silk the same composition as web silk?

sasker

Arachnoprince
I don't know, man. It's a 7-year old thread. Is it really necessary to revive it?

I've tried both egg sac casing (jumping spider: platycryptus undatus)
If you really want to eat a nutritious egg sack, try an egg sack of any of the Theraphosa spp. I am sure you will notice the effects immediately :troll: