Has anyone bred E campestratus?

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I have been trying to breed my MF and MM E campestratus for weeks now with no luck. I see that there are only 2 breeding reports for this species and the last is 2007. It seems that no one is breeding these guys. Why is that? Anyway, I have had my female for 6 months and she hasn't molted in my care so could have been who knows how long since her last molt. I know it's best to breed them a month to a couple months after a molt, but I picked him up at an expo and thought I'd give it a shot. I have not seen him make a sperm web but his mature molt was 6 months agoso I'm pretty sure he has made one. He will drum a little and lay really flat then move his body up and down. When he touches her she runs back or slaps at him. I tried shark tanking, their enclosures have been right next to each other since I got him, I put some of his webbing in her enclosure, and vice versa. At this point I am not going to try again until she molts I guess. I am possibly getting another MF next week so maybe they will get on better. If anyone has ANY advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance :)

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Both came from reputable sources. I assume they are, they look like it. I really think maybe the problem is that she is in need of a molt. She has looked pretty scruffy since i got her. Hopefully he will stick around for a while and she will be more interested then. It doesn't seem like anyone ever breeds them though. I wonder why that is.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
The odds are against you on this one.
If you breed them before her next molt, theres a good chance she'll molt out of pregnancy seeing as she is already over 6 months into this molt cycle.
On the contrary, if you wait until her next molt, the male is already 6 months mature so he might pass away by then & even if he's still alive, sometimes really old males just don't have it in em to mate.
I know this really doesn't help you much, but I would just keep trying for now. If she molts out of the pregnancy and the male is still alive, then give it another go if he is willing.
As far as species specific breeding info, I have asolutley no idea with this one, sorry.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Two different people had slings for sale from different sacs last fall, so they have been bred recently.

You could try contacting CaptiveInverts, I remember they had one of the sacs.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Two different people had slings for sale from different sacs last fall, so they have been bred recently.

You could try contacting CaptiveInverts, I remember they had one of the sacs.
hmmm I contacted one of the people that had a sac and it was born to a wild caught female that had not been bred by them, was was caught already gravid. Thank you though. I will contact captive inverts and ask them.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

The odds are against you on this one.
If you breed them before her next molt, theres a good chance she'll molt out of pregnancy seeing as she is already over 6 months into this molt cycle.
On the contrary, if you wait until her next molt, the male is already 6 months mature so he might pass away by then & even if he's still alive, sometimes really old males just don't have it in em to mate.
I know this really doesn't help you much, but I would just keep trying for now. If she molts out of the pregnancy and the male is still alive, then give it another go if he is willing.
As far as species specific breeding info, I have asolutley no idea with this one, sorry.
I know the odds are against me :( I got him for only $25 so I figured it was worth a try. Anyway, I'm working on getting a more freshly molted female in next week. Maybe she will be more interested in mating. If not, either I will wait and see what happens or even send him out for a 50/50. At this point he is still eating well and looks really good. Hopefully he will be around for a while.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
probably the female is in need of a molt.. most of the time it's the reason why a female will reject a male.. but sometimes they still mate but the female will only molt out.. :D