Has anybody ever eatin a tarantula?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are lots of people who have eaten one, I'm sure.

However, as many of the people on this particular site keep them as pets and not hors d'ouvres, this question may ruffle a few feathers.

;)

WeezyTheAvic

Arachnopeon
I seen it on tv once on that one show taboo they burn the hairs off cook them and eat them.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet,as long as Rodie brings the brews we are set...........I am waiting for the whiners to come out and talk about how "horrible" it is to eat a t.They have been feeding people for thousands of years in some areas of the world!....But the part I have an issue with is that there are areas that once had thriving populations that have been wiped out..

dmexotics

Arachnopeon
My wife is Thai, she is from the Northeast where eating insects is completely normal. I have eaten A LOT of insects and after so many trips overseas, I lost the apprehension of doing so a long time ago. Some are better than others but they really aren't that bad. Tarantulas do actually taste like soft shell crab. My last Asian import, a few of the cobalts came in barely alive due to mis-handling by the carrier was my guess...allowed to get too cold. Anyway, my wife snatched them up without me noticing and they hit the bbq the next day after they were refrigerated with some sauce. I even got my mom to eat some, they were really good :)
To date I have tried meal worms, crickets, grasshoppers, silkworm pupae, tarantulas, scorpions, wasp eggs/larvae and ant eggs/larvae. Most are simply fried but the egg/larvae dishes are usually fried into an omelet with chicken egg and eaten with sticky rice. The "disgusting" part is all in your head...

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
yeah that sounds delicious, crabs and tarantulas are very similar in terms of DNA too makes perfect sense why they taste alike, they are both Arthropods afterall

WeezyTheAvic

Arachnopeon
Thats true that its all in your head. A lobster dinner a lot off people like it there nice meals same with crab if you really think about it there bottom feeders the cockroach of the sea. Tasty cockroachs

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've actually eaten a few insects as well but thus far have not gotten to try tarantula. My ex ate one (wasn't there on this occasion) and said it was pretty good so I suppose if the opportunity ever arose and it wasn't one of my pets I'd try it. :}

lordddelgado

Arachnopeon
Gross

It's so gross, it's like eating your Dog or your best friend, yuck I should stay with poultry animal for eating... (100%:barf:)

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
i had a large pet rosea for a long time then one day, she took a tumble off a friends poor, to say the leest we ended up baking her and eating her and it taste kinda like crab or shrimp.....

dont judge lol we were inquisitive

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's so gross, it's like eating your Dog or your best friend, yuck I should stay with poultry animal for eating... (100%:barf:)
my mom has chickens that she picks up and gives kisses, and she still eats poultry:}

and i don't know how you can equate it with eating your dog...

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If they taste like soft shell crab ill eat the asian and african species with some thai noodles!! :)

{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My wife is Thai, she is from the Northeast where eating insects is completely normal. I have eaten A LOT of insects and after so many trips overseas, I lost the apprehension of doing so a long time ago. Some are better than others but they really aren't that bad. Tarantulas do actually taste like soft shell crab. My last Asian import, a few of the cobalts came in barely alive due to mis-handling by the carrier was my guess...allowed to get too cold. Anyway, my wife snatched them up without me noticing and they hit the bbq the next day after they were refrigerated with some sauce. I even got my mom to eat some, they were really good :)
To date I have tried meal worms, crickets, grasshoppers, silkworm pupae, tarantulas, scorpions, wasp eggs/larvae and ant eggs/larvae. Most are simply fried but the egg/larvae dishes are usually fried into an omelet with chicken egg and eaten with sticky rice. The "disgusting" part is all in your head...
Which ones do you prefer?

Soft-shell crab is great.