Harpaphe pedelings!!!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Congratulations to this success!
They only need around one year to be adult? Interesting.
Thank you! :) As far as I know, most Polydesmida take a year or less to mature. It is the larger round millipedes that take years to mature. Even Tylobolus mature in less than two years.

Since you didn't mention it, I assume you didn't see eggs? Do you know how they lay them, in a cluster or capsule? Under wood or in the substrate? I have had some of my flat millipedes several months; hoping for offspring. My feather millipedes have a few offspring in their enclosure but I didn't witness any of the egg laying activity. I have seen in photos that a male will guard a cluster of eggs. That would be interesting to witness. I have seen the Auturus evides make huge molting chambers. Do they ever lay eggs in those?

Congrats on being soo close to maturity. Round 2 coming up!
I never dig for eggs, especially when I suspect they might be there, as I fear I would only risk killing them, so better to my mind to wait and watch for pedelings. :angelic: From photos others have shared, it looks like most (all?) Polydesmida lay their eggs in clusters in the substrate, not in a chamber nor individual capsules (I could be wrong but I think the latter is unique to the large round millipedes).

Auturus evides egg cluster

Motyxia egg cluster

And thank you! I hope to do even better with the next generation! :D

I agree, it would be fascinating to be able to observe Brachycybe brooding behavior! I wonder if they are unique in not laying their eggs either underground nor in capsules so that they require protection? Congratulations on getting offspring! This species has proven challenging for me, but I have had several for a year now and I plan to get several more along with more native food source this fall. What do you feed your Brachycybe, btw?

And good luck with the Sigmoria! They are such beautiful millipedes -- I hope we both get offspring! :cat:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thank you! :) As far as I know, most Polydesmida take a year or less to mature. It is the larger round millipedes that take years to mature. Even Tylobolus mature in less than two years.

I never dig for eggs, especially when I suspect they might be there, as I fear I would only risk killing them, so better to my mind to wait and watch for pedelings. :angelic: From photos others have shared, it looks like most (all?) Polydesmida lay their eggs in clusters in the substrate, not in a chamber nor individual capsules (I could be wrong but I think the latter is unique to the large round millipedes).

Auturus evides egg cluster

Motyxia egg cluster

And thank you! I hope to do even better with the next generation! :D

I agree, it would be fascinating to be able to observe Brachycybe brooding behavior! I wonder if they are unique in not laying their eggs either underground nor in capsules so that they require protection? Congratulations on getting offspring! This species has proven challenging for me, but I have had several for a year now and I plan to get several more along with more native food source this fall. What do you feed your Brachycybe, btw?

And good luck with the Sigmoria! They are such beautiful millipedes -- I hope we both get offspring! :cat:
Great photos!

I'm not a digger either. I was hoping though to discover something I could safely watch. It makes me crazy not knowing what is going on, but I can do it....

I am also going to try fish flakes and potato slice! But I haven't seen them eat anything but the wood and maple syrup.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Update: The Harpaphe millipedes matured in approximately one year, kept ~18C/65F, damp and eating decaying hardwood leaves and wood. Over the past winter, they started dying off (I suspect their lifespan is normally 12-18 months) but as I still had no pedelings (and found no eggs when I rehoused some months ago) I moved them out of the wine cooler in case a period of warmer temperature is necessary to encourage reproduction. Two males have died since then, leaving me with one last Harpaphe:
607DF584-3938-4689-B6A1-9FB70DDA8382.jpeg

Last edited:

davehuth

Arachnoknight
This whole thread is gold. So many puzzles to unravel! I never would have thought to try a warming period. Since eggs eluded detection the year before, maybe there's something going on down there and you'll eventually have some pedelings pop out? A second generation would be so great...

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
This whole thread is gold. So many puzzles to unravel! I never would have thought to try a warming period. Since eggs eluded detection the year before, maybe there's something going on down there and you'll eventually have some pedelings pop out? A second generation would be so great...
Temperature and, I think, moisture levels are important cues for many tarantulas and I would imagine it may be for some millipedes as well but we’ll see. :) I fear the last of this cohort may all be male, strangely enough.

The first year I did not do any digging (with a single female in a shoebox-sized box, I didn’t need to rehouse). I only risked digging this time because I was rehousing and doubted there were any eggs so checked to be sure.

I’d really love to have another try with this species! I think I know what worked and what I would try differently.