Harpaphe haydeniana (cyanide millipede) as pets

basement pets

Arachnosquire
I live in Washington and every once in a while I see a yellow spotted millipede or cyanide millipede probably Harpaphe haydeniana. I was wondering if anyone has experience breeding them or just keeping them in general? I have also heard that they release cyanide and was wondering if I were to breed enough if the cyanide could be harmful? could they be kept similarly to ivory millipedes?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Harpaphe haydeniana is one of the hardiest polydesmids from what I hear actually, breeding well in a substrate of 90-100% rotting wood (so you would probably want to keep them separate from your Ivories). Well, at least the Washington variety is hardy, the Alaskan locality does not do well in captivity apparently.
They only release their cyanide when threatened I believe, so unless your stressing them out all the time and keeping them in a sealed container they will do fine.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Happy to help. Just keep in mind their need for rotting wood, and they might prefer cooler temps (68-72F). I would love to keep some of these one day.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

basement pets

Arachnosquire
Happy to help. Just keep in mind their need for rotting wood, and they might prefer cooler temps (68-72F). I would love to keep some of these one day.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Cool! Thanks for the info I will make sure to keep them in a cooler part of my room because I have a space heater in the bug closet. I have a large supply of rotting wood in my yard so it shouldn't be too hard to collect.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Sounds good! Keep us updated on how it turns out.
I'm really envious of y'all who can collect rotting wood/leaves straight from your yard...
*sigh*

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@VolkswagenBug, true, true. I can't complain, but I still wish that rotten leaves/wood was more plentiful in my area, or available for cheaper online.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
O.K, so I was cross-checking myself in Orin McMonigle's book "Millipeds in Captivity", and apparently the Washington subspecies are the ones that don't do well in captivity. It is the Northern Californian varieties that do well when provided with proper care. While this is the only report I know of for Washington H. haydeniana, that's all we have to go on.

Sorry for providing incorrect information. I hope that new info can be found on the specifics of what the more northern subspecies need to thrive in captive conditions.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Still, I'm sorry about that. I'm glad I checked before it went on too much further.

Thanks for understanding,

Arthroverts