harpactira pulchripes

VenomGuy39

Arachnopeon
ive been looking into this species for a while now, i havent found alot of info on this one. i want to get a few slings of this species but finding them is harder than i thought. questions i have .

1. how is the aggression in this species
2. Is this species something i have to worry about
3. ive heard these are insanely fast spiders.

thanks everybody

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I haven't kept that species yet, but it's an OW baboon so I would expect it to be fast, defensive, and potent to some degree. If you have experience with other OWs I wouldn't worry about it. If not, you might want to start somewhere else.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I have a 1.25" H. pulchripes sling. So far it's been very easy to take care of. As long as they have enough substrate to burrow down in to, they'll feel secure. Feeding is easy since they'll typically just retreat to their burrow any time the enclosure is disturbed. Mine has thus far been more shy than aggressive, but that can always change. As they're old world tarantulas, they should be respected. They can be insanely fast when they want to. If they don't feel secure, they will bolt. That said, they're still probably on the easier side of OWs to keep.

VenomGuy39

Arachnopeon
I have a few OWs. I personally have not had any problems with them. i am not new to the spider world just new to the site. someone recomended me to go here to find out and so far so good.
Now does anybody know where i can get slings for this? tarantula canada has them but i dont wanna spend the money for the us fish and wildlife permit as i am not a keeper of hundereds of species..
just looking for my crown jewel of my collection. Its this species or M Balfouri.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
4. who has slings
1) Temperament always vary, but not like their 'poor cousins' P.murinus on that sense :-s

2) I don't know exactly what you mean (venom potency?) but I say no

3) Just like fast are the other 'Baboons', one moment

4) Not me and I personally find their price a huge scam-ball that will blow soon :kiss:

VenomGuy39

Arachnopeon
when i say should i be worried as in venom potancy. i have a few other baboons and have been bitten once by my obt. So i guess was wondering is it more potant than other baboons.
I also have noticed on a few online sales places that prices are fairly high to somewhat stupid prices.. May i ask why you think its a scam-ball? I figured it was just a more rare species and thats why the price is what it is

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
when i say should i be worried as in venom potancy. i have a few other baboons and have been bitten once by my obt. So i guess was wondering is it more potant than other baboons.
That's why I've written (venom potency?) because I couldn't figure out well what you wanted to mean in point 2 :)

I also have noticed on a few online sales places that prices are fairly high to somewhat stupid prices.. May i ask why you think its a scam-ball? I figured it was just a more rare species and thats why the price is what it is
I don't know if at the moment there's someone here on this site selling those for that, since I live in Europe, I don't bother to check sales here because I can't 'brown boxing' :-s

IMO their price was an exaggeration. Yeah they were the last 'Swag' of the 'Baboons', but at the end of the day on my book the mighty 'OBT', cheap as hell, still wins hands down. From what I know, they aren't so hard to breed, there's (IMO) a bit of speculation happened :p

That's my opinion, however.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
That's why I've written (venom potency?) because I couldn't figure out well what you wanted to mean in point 2 :)

I don't know if at the moment there's someone here on this site selling those for that, since I live in Europe, I don't bother to check sales here because I can't 'brown boxing' :-s

IMO their price was an exaggeration. Yeah they were the last 'Swag' of the 'Baboons', but at the end of the day on my book the mighty 'OBT', cheap as hell, still wins hands down. From what I know, they aren't so hard to breed, there's (IMO) a bit of speculation happened :p

That's my opinion, however.
It's possible to get them for a reasonable price if you know where to look. I was able to get mine for around $60, which isn't too ridiculous of a price imo.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Ive been told that they're very docile by old world standards. That's not saying much though.

VenomGuy39

Arachnopeon
It's possible to get them for a reasonable price if you know where to look. I was able to get mine for around $60, which isn't too ridiculous of a price imo.
ive looked everywhere... net-bugs has them but there over 125.00. if i can find something close to 80 or 90 im game but nothing yet

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
ive looked everywhere... net-bugs has them but there over 125.00. if i can find something close to 80 or 90 im game but nothing yet
I'd just keep an eye out on the classifieds. The vendor I purchased mine from often has sales where you can get slings for 40-50% off. I know they don't have H. pulchripes right now but you can DM me if you want to know who it is anyways.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I have also been researching this tarantula as my entry to OW species this year.

Right now here in the states this seems to be a species that isn't consistently available. There were a group of slings available at the start of the year (not sure about last year). Prices have been ridiculous with scam prices by standard internet retailers as mentioned by @Chris LXXIX. The one place I saw slings was $150 for an unsexed sling. Your best bet is to wait until they are available by a breeder on this site.

I was told that they are more calm / less aggressive than some other OW T's. But it is better to hear this type of information from actual owners.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have also been researching this tarantula as my entry to OW species this year.

Right now here in the states this seems to be a species that isn't consistently available. There were a group of slings available at the start of the year (not sure about last year). Prices have been ridiculous with scam prices by standard internet retailers as mentioned by @Chris LXXIX. The one place I saw slings was $150 for an unsexed sling. Your best bet is to wait until they are available by a breeder on this site.

I was told that they are more calm / less aggressive than some other OW T's. But it is better to hear this type of information from actual owners.
While I don't own one, nor I plan to (H.pulchripes) I can tell you that yes, they aren't so 'psycho' like 'OBT' and S.calceatum are, but my man I suggest you a Ceratogyrus marshalli if you want to jump into Baboons.

Christ... trust me, that horn is unreal. And they are honest priced :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Now aside for the fact that the 'wallet' is a personal subjective issue, aside the fact that I don't want to sound like a dastard or else, uh :-/
nor I want to undermine H.pulchripes, well, if you payed $60 for a female now that's a great price, considering the U.S T's prices I've saw.

For me $60 for a 0.1 H.pulchripes here isn't fair, they aren't hard to breed like (true) T.blondi... on my book they are just a different colored and less defensive P.murinus and I wouldn't pay $60 a P.murinus female :-s

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Not much different in my experience than an OBT. Look like em, breed like em, kept like em, web like em IMO. Behaviour is always individual, expect OBT disposition, then you shouldn't have a problem. If you already own an OBT, need not worry...

Chris, although I agree with you, supply and demand is always the factor. Don't hate the seller, hate the market... We buy them high so we gotta sell them high. Fortunately, they are reportedly easy to breed so prices should drop quicker than some of other most wanted species.

They are so expensive because they were smuggled out of South Africa and the introducing party knew they had a gold mine and cornered the market, when they hit the US market a few years ago they were $350 a sling. Their prices have already plummeted tremendously.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ive been looking into this species for a while now, i havent found alot of info on this one. i want to get a few slings of this species but finding them is harder than i thought. questions i have .

thanks everybody
1. Treat like an OBT
2. Not if you respect it
3. It's an OW, what did you expect ;)