Harpactira pulchripes

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
How much of a pet hole is this species?

I did want to buy P.everetti, but can't find one to buy from someone i trust. So H.pulchripes is next down on the list. But I've been toying with buying it for 6 months now.

But if I'm rarely going to see those pretty legs, then there isn't much point.

Or do they come out quite a bit at night? I'm usually up till like 4 am everyday anyway.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I don't own this species, but here's my two cents - pet holes only have that moniker because we aren't nocturnal :p If you're up that late, then you'll see it. Even my pet holes are out constantly... at night. It can't just be dark, it also has to be relatively cool. They usually don't come out until the middle of night, well past midnight. That being said, you'll likely see it a lot given your interesting sleep schedule.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
My little slings are out and about at all times during the day. They are however skittish and will run to ground at the slightest movement around them. I hope they get just a bit braver as they grow and stay out in the open.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have an OBT that i only see at night.

I seldom see my pulchripes in the day. Still more than the P. murinus.

I guess it all depends on the individual.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My three are just slings ATM but are often out. They are flightly as @sdsnybny says and will dive for cover if disturbed.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My three are just slings ATM but are often out. They are flightly as @sdsnybny says and will dive for cover if disturbed.
Sounds like I. mira and M. balfouri. Of the two, M. balfouri are the fastest IME, the SLIGHTEST disturbance and they will zip all around. At least I. mira goes back down its trapdoor.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
I'll be getting a sling soon so I can not speak from my direct personal experience, but my friend go an adult female and every time I was at his place I was able to see her. She never made a burrow and instead created a silk castle.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Ah ok, sounds good :)

Are they actually as pretty as they seem in some pictures? I'm not sure whether they've been enhanced or not sometimes. Or whether it's a flash on the camera.

@EulersK Haha, student - don't have any classes till midday, so I'm a night owl.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
When I first saw it, I thought it's some other species. IMO, the "gold" coloration is muuuuuuuuch more subtle then it seems in most of the pictures.

You can see it in this video and judge for yourself ^^

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Mine are out most of the time. They're definitely not a pet hole in my experience. The intensity of the color depends on the lighting.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
When I first saw it, I thought it's some other species. IMO, the "gold" coloration is muuuuuuuuch more subtle then it seems in most of the pictures.

What species of roaches were those

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Thanks. agreed. The gold and the blue (more like a grey-blue) are both subdued. A lot of pics of this species show the opposite. I though perhaps it was either angle of camera or naturally that bright. The blue color in that video on it is very much like I. mira as opposed to a GBB.

Great video, great resolution. If that's the same camera you bought a while ago, it does a great job.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I only have a sling but it has been a bit more of a pet hole in the past (it built up a huge "ant hill" and pretty much just stayed in there), however recently it has apparently decided that its bored with its ant hill and has been out much more. Its actually making a second "home" by webbing all over the sphagnum moss that is in its deli cup and connected it to its other den. Pretty cool. From what I've read and seen, as they get older they tend to generally be out and about and aren't really pet holes, per se.

+1 to what others are saying as far as being flighty. Mine is actually pretty calm but will bolt (very fast) if it is disturbed too much; upside is they aren't very defensive. As far as the colors in photographs, I agree with @Thistles ...its all about the lighting. You could make Liberace's costumes look dull if you don't light it correctly.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Eh, won't lie..That video has put me off. I'm not going to be carrying round a flood light with me to make it look good haha.

Think i will try and find P.everetti instead.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
@viper69 Ye that's the one. I'm loving it...only missing is 4k feature and some great macro lense.

@Matabuey Don't get me wrong, they are still really nice...just not as nice as people show them in some of those pictures :p

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
@viper69 Ye that's the one. I'm loving it...only missing is 4k feature and some great macro lense.

@Matabuey Don't get me wrong, they are still really nice...just not as nice as people show them in some of those pictures :p
Haha, yeah, i was going to buy a couple but think i will just buy one for the moment and see what it looks like for myself in person.

RudeMania

Arachnopeon
Mine is out about often, she is very active and only tries to hide if I shine a bright light over her!