Harmful Insects. NOT from chemicals/parasites.

Ace_Man

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wondering if there are insects that can hurt T's just from things they can do... if they are venomous/poisonous, or can spray acid and bite and such. A list would be nice. I know a praying mantis is high on the food chain with insects, but I've fed a couple large ones to 5-6" T's and they were crushed and killed before they even knew there was a threat.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're asking for a complete review of the insect world? Good luck.

There are many insects that use toxins an a variety of ways to defend themselves or to kill/capture prey. Some sequester plant toxins in their tissues that make them toxic or foul-tasting to potential predators. Some use chemical sprays to repel attackers. Some have toxic bites or stings (or both). Rather than asking people to compile lists for you, why not do your own research? Eisner's "Secret Weapons" would be a good book to start with.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In general, I'd shy away from giving my T's any kind of caterpillar, as they are often bristly, sometimes spiny and venomous.

Also...

Assassin bugs ( toxic injections.)
Centipedes (same thing )
Other spiders...

I know they aren't insects, but I'd recommend against using crayfish as feeders because of their obvious pinching ability.

Ace_Man

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, not all, just what individuals know for sure. Like, insects that have a defense of tasting bad. Does that affect T's? And I know millipedes excrete some kind of cyanide or something. I know Bombardier Beetle's are bad too.

tlgreve

Arachnopeon
I'd be worried about things like lighting bugs, they are quite poisonous to reptiles, likely not too good for Ts either.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
what's wrong with crickets? what's wrong with roaches?
:?:wall:

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

nothing from the outdoors should be fed to your T.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what's wrong with crickets? what's wrong with roaches?
:?:wall:

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

nothing from the outdoors should be fed to your T.
Whats wrong with other readily available and breed-able insects?

I'm not against using wild caught and then breeding the toxins / parasites out of them before feeding them to Ts. But I do agree, Crickets and Roaches (CB) are the best choice.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A large B. dubia can actually cause some damage to a Tarantula...

Ace_Man

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i didn't say i was feeding anything but crickets to my T's, I was just curious. Sorry if a general information discussion is wasting your time.