Hardwood vs. Softwood and other Millipede Questions

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2005. Not too long ago. Even if a few things are outdated that doesn't make it useless. And whats wrong with "popping random questions out left and right"? Isn't asking and answering questions kind of the point of the forum?
yes, you can, but i'm just making a point. if you just think about it, you can probably come up with the answer.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
now some guy is going to read this stuff, take the data, and put it in his book and end up being a hero, while i would look like the cruel guy that thought out the logical theory.
Actually, the author of the Millipede Enthusiasts Handbook shared a story in which one of his millipede tanks was accidentally flooded during an incident with a malfunctioning aquarium filter. The pedes were immersed in salt water for an entire day, but nearly all of them survived the event unharmed.

so you've read that "Giant Millipedes" book that you've mentioned. now if i was to ask you about the outcome of my experiment, do you think that you would know the answer to my question?
Absolutely. Had you asked your peers about their experiences and knowledge of millipedes surviving extreme conditions, I'm sure the members of this forum would have some stories of their own to share, including the evidence that pedes can be hard to drown.

"a lot of unnecessary work" ???? dropping a millipede into a deli cup of water is not a lot of work, but if you don't want to do any work, then it might be a different story.
I was trying to politely imply that it was unnecessary because it was, to a point, an unnecessary cruelty. Intentionally immersing a creature in water knowing very well that death by drowning could be an outcome, just out of curiosity? Just because the creature in question cannot experience fear or pain (that we know of), doesn't mean that it's life has no value.

The book that I mentioned was written in 2005. It is hardly out-dated. There are very few books about millipede care out there, which is unfortunate. I recommended this one because it's author has a lot of personal experience successfully raising and breeding millipedes, and seems to have a genuine interest in improving the care standard for the hobby.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, i don't know if the author had an accident drowning the millipedes in salt water or they were submerged, but seeing how someone like you reacted to having a millipede put in water, i can see why the data was presented to you the way it is... "it was just an accident"

and there is nothing wrong with trying to figure things out, you might even discover something new along the way that can help bring benefits to the hobby.

someone finally figured out how to sex a living centipede just 2-3 years ago. so our hobby is picking up new information almost every year. 2005 is not up to date, we're reaching 2012, so you do the math.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
What I'm trying to say is that it is kind of, you know, snobbish, mean, to say "someone like you" like that. Or, now that I think about it "popping random questions out left and right" and "you should try to be more articulate". I'm sorry if you don't mean it that way but it just seems like that to me.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some people would say that there are no such thing as stupid questions, but this in this thread, the main reason for it being so long is because there are questions in here that i believe otherwise. there are just questions that seemed to be answer if you would just put some thoughts to it or do some research. if snobbish meaning the difference between someone that put some use to their brain and the people that lack the effort, then yes.

and then there was the repeated question like should i cover the screen or should i not and it was answered and the question was repeated. were you just looking to get attention?

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
2005 is newer than my car, and it still works well. Mostly. :)

KyuZo, I disagree with your methods, but for me that's no reason to not try to get along anyways. I only wish you felt the same way.

Tarantel, there is nothing stupid about your questions, but you do seem to have a lot of them! I still think a good book would be a big help for you, as far as getting the information that you need about specific issues. Also, make good use of the search function on these forums- chances are, someone's asked the same questions before, and gotten answers.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
some people would say that there are no such thing as stupid questions, but this in this thread, the main reason for it being so long is because there are questions in here that i believe otherwise. there are just questions that seemed to be answer if you would just put some thoughts to it or do some research. if snobbish meaning the difference between someone that put some use to their brain and the people that lack the effort, then yes.

and then there was the repeated question like should i cover the screen or should i not and it was answered and the question was repeated. were you just looking to get attention?
There is very little information on millipedes available on the web, and what information there is probably isn't extremely accurate on all matters, also isn't asking questions to people who know the answers a form of research? :? I'm sorry about the repeated questions. I felt I needed a bit more information on the screen so I asked again. Maybe that wasn't the best move.

Fyreflye, thank you for not being a jerk. :) I just ordered that millipede book you told me about and I hope it will answer some of my questions so I don't have to come on these boards for all of them.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
KyuZo, I disagree with your methods, but for me that's no reason to not try to get along anyways. I only wish you felt the same way.
yeah, you're right. i do tend to say some pretty mean stuff when i get in a verbal argument, just to break people down... something that my drill instructors used to do.
i need to work on being more patient.

and i'm sorry, i got caught up in the moment and what i had said was very harsh.

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Aw, I always miss out on all the fun.

Just wanted to add that immersing centipedes(rather than their myriapod cousins) in water for certain lengths of time is a method for knocking out centipedes to be sexed. It doesn't come up very often because of ensuing debates but it's effective and safe if administered by someone that is paying attention. But that's for another thread.

E&A's book is a good one, esp. to get you started but as Orin would readily admit(I think), there are still variables that need to be worked out in order to make more millipedes. This is where the diligent keeper thinking outside of the available literature will come into play. What you find on the market is what you're going to get in the case of exotic species 'cause they just aren't bringing any more in (legally).

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Alright, I got that book. My doubts about the ventilation of the pinkleg were extinguished. In fact, the big one might have too much ventilation! I was about to put some more plastic wrap on it when I read that Orthoporus ornatus need twice the ventilation of most millipedes. So I'm not sure if I should just leave it the way it is or put some more plastic on it. What do you think? Is this true? Right now I'm thinking just leave it the way it is.

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
Alright, I got that book. My doubts about the ventilation of the pinkleg were extinguished. In fact, the big one might have too much ventilation! I was about to put some more plastic wrap on it when I read that Orthoporus ornatus need twice the ventilation of most millipedes. So I'm not sure if I should just leave it the way it is or put some more plastic on it. What do you think? Is this true? Right now I'm thinking just leave it the way it is.
I'd put money on leaving it the way it is, I'm not all to familiar with millis, but our tank isn't even covered by any thing but the screen lid and they are out ALL the time. We have the fall batch from BIC and a Orthoporus ornatus, the texas and the Ivory are out all the time, with frequent visits from the little bumble bee and the larger of the two scarlet's. But they have almost 5 inches of coconut substrate that they have tunnels through. I'm not looking any thing up here, but more just thinking out loud, When they come out of the ground they are in open air, so figure that what you have on there now is enough, and that so long as they aren't in shot of a vent in your house, the ventilation you have set up right now is just fine, if it wants less ventilation, it'll probably chill underground lol. I imagine that that most if not all millipedes are fair little tanks and that they can tough out a new owners anxiety. Don't worry quite so much :) Take it easy and enjoy your new buddies! XD

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I asked a question in the very beginning of this thread about bumblebee millipede temperature requirements. My room is around 68 to 71 degrees around my millipede tank in the winter (now) but it will of corse be more in the summer. BIC says that bumblebee millipedes need 72 degrees. Is this true and can there be a temperature drop in the winter? Will they be ok? If not how can I increase the temperature without decreasing the moisture and humidity?

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Another question I have is, I think I have Narceus americanus in my backyard woods. Would it be ok to put wild collected millipedes in with my others? It's kind of a silly concern because they are all wild caught too but I wouldn't feel good just putting them in there without making sure.....

Hasabumford

Arachnopeon
For your first question: I've had a Bumblebee for a few months now (and living in Florida) the temperature has ranged from the low 90s to upper 50s and my pede is still doing just fine. They're pretty hardy!

As for your second question: I started off with a wild caught Florida ivory and a Narceus Gordanus that are currently living with my other pedes that I bought. I would guess it all depends if they have some "Crazy millipede death disease" or not. I think it would be fine. But I'm no expert like others on the boards.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Thanks. I was thinking of adding some cockroaches and orange sowbugs to the tank. Does any one know any species sold on BugsInCyberspace.com that a) can live compatibly with all these millipede species (i.e will not disrupt mating or harm them in any way) b) are colorful, c) are sold as adults, not nymphs, d) preferably can't climb glass and e) not TOO big? Also, will the cockroaches need additional hides and a water dish with that silicon jelly stuff or will they be fine hiding under the leaves and drinking real water from the substrate and tank walls?