Hardwood vs. Softwood and other Millipede Questions

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
My communal tank seems to be doing good so far, but the Sonoran desert millipedes have not borrowed at all, they just stay on the surface. Also, I haven't really seen too much of the ivory millipedes since the others were introduced. Is any of this abnormal behavior?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
picturesssssss

to answer your question, it's normal

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I'm going to make a thread in the vivariums forum and post the pics there. I can post some here too if you need me to. They are downloading onto my computer now.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Alright here are some pics.

All of these (except the pinkleg) are also posted on my Communal Millipede Tank thread.

The walls of the pinklegs tank have some condensation on them. There are only two tiny holes providing ventilation and the rest is all glass. Can't stagnant air keep them from breathing or harm them in some other way?

Edit: A few seconds after making this post I walked into my closet and saw the pinkleg hanging from the ceiling of her tank. As I watched, she slowly, carefully made her way down. The drop from ceiling to floor is only about two or three inches onto a soft bedding of leaves. Should I be concerned? Isn't this species arboreal or at least partially arboreal anyway? Should I put a bit of cork bark in there to climb on or something?

Attachments

Last edited:

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I'm thinking maybe of buying a screen lid for the pinkleg and covering most of it with tape the way I did with the other tank.

Or maybe moving it to the critter keeper and blocking off some of the vents on that. Do I have nothing to be worried about because there is condensation building up on the walls and ceiling and I don't want my millipede to die.

Last edited:

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks good but it looks dry..Make sure to keep it moist.
Oh, and just a time and money saver, they dont 'need' that much substrate, it wont hurt them, but that much isn't necessary.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I like it having that much substrate, it makes it look more natural, plus they probably like it more. It is usually somewhat moist. I stuck my finger in there and it is starting to dry out so I poured some water on the substrate.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
So should I move my pinkleg to the critter keeper where there is more ventilation and cover some of with plastic wrap like the ten gallon?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think that you're making things more complicated than it is. you're going to stress out your bugs by moving them around. I'm have been keeping one of my millipedes on a paper towel with food and a water dish for 3 weeks now and it's doing fine.

and i put one in a cup of water just to see how hardy they are. after 12 hours and it's still moving. i brought it out and in a few hours it acted like nothing happens.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I guess it will be fine then. But.... why would you do that to a millipede?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if i didn't do that, then how will i know.

they live on the ground in the soil, so i'm sure that they have been exposed and adapted to flooding. I just wanted to test it out.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if i didn't do that, then how will i know.

they live on the ground in the soil, so i'm sure that they have been exposed and adapted to flooding. I just wanted to test it out.
Hm...well...seems like a lot of unnecessary work with the possibility of a tragic outcome, when you could have come by this information by doing some reading. Or asking. :( I really recommend you get some books on millipede care. Giant Millipedes: The Enthusiasts Handbook is a good one.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol, i had a feeling that some people are not going to like to hear this kind of stuff. some of the info written in some books are outdated.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Hm...well...seems like a lot of unnecessary work with the possibility of a tragic outcome, when you could have come by this information by doing some reading. Or asking. :( I really recommend you get some books on millipede care. Giant Millipedes: The Enthusiasts Handbook is a good one.
Now that you mention it I should probably get that book too. (You WERE talking to KyuZo right?)

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now that you mention it I should probably get that book too. (You WERE talking to KyuZo right?)
My comment was directed at him, but I was hoping you'd see it as a good idea for yourself as well. :) The more you learn, the better you can care for your pets.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
now some guy is going to read this stuff, take the data, and put it in his book and end up being a hero, while i would look like the cruel guy that thought out the logical theory.

the only books that i read now are text books for school. all my hobby researches are done via the internet and with some experimental.

some people just tend to read stuff or just watch tv and take things how they are presented to them. you should try to ask the critical questions. thinking that you can learn everything by reading an outdated book is wishful thinking.
so you've read that "Giant Millipedes" book that you've mentioned. now if i was to ask you about the outcome of my experiment, do you think that you would know the answer to my question?

"a lot of unnecessary work" ???? dropping a millipede into a deli cup of water is not a lot of work, but if you don't want to do any work, then it might be a different story.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why do you assume that the info is outdated?
well, if you use your critical thinking and think about it instead of popping random questions out left and right, then you can probably look up the publish date and find out when it was written.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
2005. Not too long ago. Even if a few things are outdated that doesn't make it useless. And whats wrong with "popping random questions out left and right"? Isn't asking and answering questions kind of the point of the forum?