Hardwood vs. Softwood and other Millipede Questions

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I'm going to buy some millipedes (the American millipede medley, with Narceus americanus, bumblebee 'pedes, ivory millipedes and scarlet millipedes.) from BugsInCyberspace.com as soon as I accumulate some more money. I collected some rotting wood and leaves from outside to use as substrate (of course I will microwave/wash/boil it to get microbes and fungus and insects off) but my dad said the wood I collected was softwood, pine, and millipedes are supposed to have hardwood (according to BugsInCyberspace's millipede caresheet). Also, isn't pine dangerous to inverts? Can I use the softwood or do I need some hardwood? Would it be safer for the millipedes if I just spent the extra 14 dollars and bought it from the BIC store? Also one of the millipede species I'm getting is a bumblebee millipede, which BIC says does not do well under 72 degrees. I think it is a few degrees lower than that in my room. Will it be fine or do I need to raise the temperature in my room?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you just gonna get one of each, then they won't give you any offspring and you will always have just 4 and eventually they'll die off and you'll just gonna spend more money to buy more. you should get 4 of one specie and breed them. then later trade them off for other species. just my opinion. what part of the states are you living in?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm living in the northeast, why?
i have a friend in that part of the states that sell FL ivory millipedes at $4 each and he usually throws in some extras, AND he only sell subadults and adults.

i can refer him to you if you like.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Hmmm. How much is the shipping cost? Does he have any of other kinds of millipede?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
he doesn't have any other kind of millipedes. you'll have to talk to him about shipping.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I think I might buy those. More for cheaper! Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-29-2011 at 06:34 PM ----------

Alright, now that I've decided to buy those, do you know the answer to my question about the hardwood and softwood and toxic pine stuff?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i haven't been keeping millipedes that long, so i don't know much about them. i'm still learning. i have a grape vine that i stuck in the substrate and i saw some of them eating it as it was turning black and molding. i think that grape vine is a soft wood. i don't know about pine wood, fresh pine wood doesn't sound safe to me.

---------- Post added 10-29-2011 at 04:01 PM ----------

and let me just add that you don't need to worry so much. some species like ivory is not that picky or fragile, they'll be okay if you just throw in some dead leaves, old soft or hardwood, fruits, veggies, and dog kibbles or fish food.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From my underdstanding if soft wood with harmful oils like pine or cedar it must be falling apart rotten to be safe at all, it would be better to stick to true hardwoods or ones bought through established sources.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
J, what do you think of grape vines? they rot away pretty fast i think. the ones that you buy that home depot or the pet shop. my isopods and my millies would eat those as they rot away.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they usually sell sand blasted grape vines for use to grow those frisky hair plants that need no soil and you only need to mist them for water.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I need to mix rotting wood and leave into the substrate or my millipedes will not thrive and breed, so says BugsInCyberspace. I want them to breed and the last time I had millipedes they both died and I think it might have been because there was no rotting leaves and wood. It's not just food I don't think. I don't want to to just throw it in so they can eat it. I don't think my local petstore has grapevine, only grapewood, and that does not rot, I have some in my scorpion cage. I'm sorry if I sound stupid right now.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
go out into the woods and find some well decomposing wood...i also used to feed my millies some calcium powder, and a little goldfish flakes here and there, and they loved carrots....
I need to mix rotting wood and leave into the substrate or my millipedes will not thrive and breed, so says BugsInCyberspace. I want them to breed and the last time I had millipedes they both died and I think it might have been because there was no rotting leaves and wood. It's not just food I don't think. I don't want to to just throw it in so they can eat it. I don't think my local petstore has grapevine, only grapewood, and that does not rot, I have some in my scorpion cage. I'm sorry if I sound stupid right now.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
go out into the woods and find some well decomposing wood...i also used to feed my millies some calcium powder, and a little goldfish flakes here and there, and they loved carrots....
I did that. The wood I found was pine, according to my dad. I think pine is toxic, and a softwood.

I could find more, try to make sure it is from oak or birch or some other hardwood, but how would I know there wasn't pine mixed in?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah pine is usually toxic, and it is definitely a soft wood...i have done alot of logging/sawmilling in my time, so can name pretty much any tree i see...but yeah oak or birch, hickory, osage orange, elm...all those would be good....as far as pine mixed in...you must live where there are alot...just go to a part of the woods where you cant find any evergreens at all..and look there...
I did that. The wood I found was pine, according to my dad. I think pine is toxic, and a softwood.

I could find more, try to make sure it is from oak or birch or some other hardwood, but how would I know there wasn't pine mixed in?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think that i meant to say grape wood. i think that they rot and mold easier because there might be a bit of sugar in them. you just need to add them to a moist substrate. they rot really easily.