Hardwood vs. Softwood and other Millipede Questions

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I have grapewood and keep it in my scorpion cage and my hermit crab cage. The grapewood was developed some mold but has not rotted. Both terrariums are kept moist. At least one grapewood is partially buried in the substrate. I might add some grapewood to my millipede container when I get it though, just in case.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
You live in Ohio and you really can't find fallen oak leaves this time of year?
I never said I lived in Ohio and I never said I couldn't find oak leaves. I was just worried that perhaps the oak wood/leaves would end up being mixed with pine, and I'd have a few dead or uncomfortable millipedes on my hands.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I never said I lived in Ohio and I never said I couldn't find oak leaves. I was just worried that perhaps the oak wood/leaves would end up being mixed with pine, and I'd have a few dead or uncomfortable millipedes on my hands.
Where is Gliese 581 g? It sounded like you were talking about using rotten softwood or grapevine of which neither have been successfully used with millipedes. I did not see you mention that you have oak leaves but were worried pine was mixed in, only the worry with confusing rotten wood which can be hard to tell apart. A few pine needles would be no problem but it should be easy to separate oak leaves from pine needles.

---------- Post added 11-01-2011 at 01:35 AM ----------

I did a search and found out you live on a planet outside our solar system. I say just order the substrate from BIC, the stuff on your planet would probably kill them.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Where is Gliese 581 g? It sounded like you were talking about using rotten softwood or grapevine of which neither have been successfully used with millipedes. I did not see you mention that you have oak leaves but were worried pine was mixed in, only the worry with confusing rotten wood which can be hard to tell apart. A few pine needles would be no problem but it should be easy to separate oak leaves from pine needles.

---------- Post added 11-01-2011 at 01:35 AM ----------

I did a search and found out you live on a planet outside our solar system. I say just order the substrate from BIC, the stuff on your planet would probably kill them.
You just made my signature. >) Tomorrow I'm going to go outside and find some rotting oak trees and take the wood and leaves.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I did it, I got some. All I'm concerned about is that the leaves aren't really rotten, they were just on the ground. Will it still be OK? (I microwaved them of course)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
As long as they're brown and oak they should be acceptable. Dead leaves begin to decompose quickly but if you try to use green leaves you'll have excess sugar and nutrients that can attract and breed mites. However, it will depend on your millipede species whether it will be a major or minor part of the diet.
I don't see a quotation in your signature.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I added it, and I can see it. I don't know why you don't see it. Should I mix the leaves and wood with dirt from outside (microwaved of course) and sphagnum/peat moss? Because I don't think a substrate made entirely of leaves/wood would look very good or natural.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Usually a quote has a speaker. I see the text but it's not a quote.
I'd go for coco fiber over the items you mention.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Is there any specific way to breed ivory millipedes? Do they need extra heat or can they live and breed at room temperature? Also how do you quote someone in your signature? :)

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
And you just leave them in the terrarium together and they will breed?

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
How many inches of substrate should I use? I was thinking maybe pure coco fiber at the bottom 1 or 2 inches then coco fiber mixed with rotting leaves and wood for the middle and then a layer of leaves on the top.

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're buying from bugsincyberspace, he sells bags of "bug substrate" which is nothing more than a mixture of rotting wood and leaves. I would just be safe and buy that.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I'm not buying from BIC anymore, and I think it's safe to collect some from outside. I microwaved it. :)

---------- Post added 11-06-2011 at 11:14 AM ----------

I set up the container yesterday. It is a ten gallon tank with substrate as a mixture of coco fiber and sphagnum/peat moss on the bottom inch or so, then a mixture of coco fiber, rotting wood, peat moss and dry oak leaves in the middle few inches, and a coating of crushed oak leaves on top. What I want to know is if the moss will affect the millipedes in a negative way, because it would be a shame to have to redo this cage.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Well, I got the millipedes today. He gave me 14 instead of ten :))) and they seem to be OK. I'm thinking of buying a few different species and making a communal tank, I'm getting an AGB for Christmas and I might put that in there. Something tells me I might have given them to much space because I can't see them now and it's hard to find them even when digging through the substrate.

Last edited: